Practice Mute for a Miraclone 186

The bulk of the musical talk
Cdub
bugler
bugler

Practice Mute for a Miraclone 186

Post by Cdub »

What have others had success with as a practice mute for a 186 or 186 clone? I have a Mack Brass copy, and am curious what works well with this Tuba. I have one I'm leaning towards, but would like to gain from the think tank here. The practice mutes I've looked at are:

Schlipf (model 5)
Silent Brass
Dennis Wick

Any input is appreciated on the pros/cons of any of these or others.
Mack 410gb
On Wisconsin
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Practice Mute for a Miraclone 186

Post by fenne1ca »

I have experience with the first two, and I think they meet slightly different needs.

If all you are looking for is a solution for hotel stays, apartment living, or homes with small children, absolutely go with Schlipf. Lightweight, travels in the bell even inside a gig bag or case, and minimal effect on resistance (in my experience). I believe similar things can be said of the Wick, but that’s all hearsay for me.

If the only way you’ll be able to practice regularly is with a mute, go with Silent Brass - the acoustical simulation will give you at least a decent amount of aural feedback regarding tone and dynamics. Also 100% the right choice if you are interested in experimenting with amplified/processed sound and digital recording (what I affectionately call “alt-tuba”).
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
Cdub
bugler
bugler

Re: Practice Mute for a Miraclone 186

Post by Cdub »

Thanks for the input! I have recording gear already and a church to record in (yay wife leading bell choir and having access to a key :D ) I have a ten month old who for now doesn't care about playing while he sleeps, but I'm pretty sure that will change.

I think the Schlipf sounds like the way for me to go.
Mack 410gb
On Wisconsin