Sousaphones

The bulk of the musical talk
Lauren
lurker
lurker

Sousaphones

Post by Lauren »

Our marching band is looking into purchasing new sousaphones. I really don’t think our school is going to spend $50,000. I like the Conn20k horns ( haven’t played...but from what I have talked to others, they seem like the best). So our second choice is a fiberglass Sousa with brass bell. I’m not really a fan of fiberglass because I don’t like the sound but I know they have gotten better. Still, not a fan.

Anyway—- where would you reccommend I look to start getting price quotes??

Thanks
Lauren
lurker
lurker

Re: Sousaphones

Post by Lauren »

Possibly 5-6 maybe
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

I believe John Packer makes an All brass Sousaphone that would be in your price range, I'm sure Bloke (one of the regulars on the board) from Mid-South Music can tell you about them. Jupiter also makes a Fiber Sousaphone with a Brass Bell that sells for about $4,000.00.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
KyleMG
bugler
bugler

Post by KyleMG »

I definitely DON’T recommend Jupiter’s. We use them at the university I’m at for marching band, and especially if the kids hold the neck with their left hands (as the majority of people do) the lead pipes are apt to break from the valve block by the end of the season if not earlier.
Miraphone 188
Miraphone Firebird
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

My 2 cents:
As far as NEW sousas go, the JP sousas seem like a good option to fit your needs for the reasons Bloke has already outlined. I haven't had the chance to play one and evaluate for myself, but I trust Bloke in his description, and would assume it plays much like the american-made horn it's patterned after.
A 20Ks are great horns in my opinion, but new examples are expensive (compared to a asain-made horns), and older examples can be found for cheaper and are more often than not built better than their modern counterparts. The same is true with modern Kings. If you go with 20Ks, look for some good used ones. Also, if new horns are a requirement and you are looking for horns in the 20K style, Wessex has a decent 20K copy.
I'm not a fan of Jupiter's or Yamahas in both terms of durability and sound (I've had the most experience with Yamahas) but that's just my preference.
If used is an option, you can't go wrong with a set of old Conns (20Ks, 14Ks, whatever), Kings and Olds are some good sturdy horns as well.
Best of luck in finding what you need.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

I'd go with a King or JP if you have to buy new. The 20k to me seems too stuffy down low.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

As far as all-over quality for a new/modern sousa; the Yamaha 411 is (IMO) the best. Huge, clear sound, great response, good intonation, thicker metal than the modern Conn-Selmer sousas, tight-tolerance pistons, one-piece brazed bell (like vintage H.N. White), brass metal bow guards (not glued-on plastic like the current Conn 20k).
But you also can't go wrong with King sousas; even the modern ones. You can get a fiber body and brass bell with those. The vintage H.N. White (King) Sousas are fantastic if they are rebuilt/overhauled. :tuba:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

What we need is a side X side sousa-phone-off!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Borodi music usually has a few nice older Conn's for sale that they have restored to like new condition. 14K's and 20K's. They will outlast any new horn produced today and are a lot cheaper than buying the overpriced new junk

Borodimusic.com
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

Three Valves wrote:What we need is a side X side sousa-phone-off!!

:tuba:
Yes!
I’d buy a ticket to that.
(Wishing there was a sousaphone emoji right now)

Many will enter. Only one shall leave.
RichWilley
lurker
lurker

Post by RichWilley »

Thanks for posting that! I may be arriving a little bit late on this topic, but what you posted led me down a great rabbit hole of tons of other sousaphone battles or playoffs or whatever you want to call them (I watched probably 90 minutes of them today).

I enjoyed these, also:

Norfolk State University Bodacious Basses and the St. Augustine University D.T.P.

Horsepower Elite (The 10th Anniversary Show) @ Warren County B.O.T.B. 2015 -- Virginia State University

There are so many of these, and I love them! So much heart!!!
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

This thread is over 2 years old.
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

Kirley wrote:This thread is over 2 years old.
I wonder how it turned out?
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander