Cost of refinishing a mouthpiece - opinions please

The bulk of the musical talk
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Cost of refinishing a mouthpiece - opinions please

Post by Doug Elliott »

I apologize in advance for this rant... I'm just looking for opinions on this situation which occurred between the Army workshop in February and now.

"I dropped off a gold Conn Helleberg mouthpiece for a general overhaul (fix bent shank/remove scratches) and replating, which you said would cost $50."

Right. The "gold" was almost completely gone and my $50 quote was for refinishing in silverplate, which I think is extremely reasonable and does not even begin to cover my time and costs. There was splotchy nickel plate on it which took a lot of extra time to remove.

So I did the work and returned it. Turns out he thought he was going to get goldplate...
So I got it goldplated and sent it back to him with a total bill for $132 including shipping... which I think is pretty reasonable... VERY reasonable.

Note: a new goldplated Helleberg is $189 at WW&BW and everyplace else online, and I'm quite sure my job has twice as much silver and twice as much gold on it.

"The $132 cost of this work that is listed on the accompanying paperwork is significantly higher that the $90-100 cost you had quoted to me on the phone. As I had indicated during our discussion, even the $90-100 cost was in the upper range of what I would consider for this work because it is starting to approach the cost of a new mouthpiece. In light of this, I am sending along with this letter a check for the upper end of our agreed-upon cost range for this work ($100) plus the $7 shipping fee as payment in full for these services."

I think I probably said $90-100 additional for the gold itself, because I would not be surprised to get that bill from my plater for goldplating a tuba mouthpiece.

Thoughts?
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Cost of refinishing a mouthpiece - opinions please

Post by Ken Herrick »

With some people the only chance you have is a written quote signed by both parties.

Your $132 price is indeed more than reasonable.
Free to tuba: good home
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aglenntuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Aglenntuba »

Since he's shorting you about 25% of the cost, I'd say buff the plating off of about 25% of the rim :twisted:
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

I suppose sadly the rule should be to agree things in writing and keep the goods until payment is received.
Peach
williamp
bugler
bugler

Post by williamp »

I don't think there will be any question from most of the folks on the board about your prices being fair for the work described. I think there does seem to be an issue with the clarity of the communications between involved parties, which is normally what causes problems. I am dealing with some significant work now by a terrific and very respected craftsman, whose work is of the highest level and prices are fair but not inexpensive. If there is a shortcoming in the process, it is in lack of communication. It can be hard to be good at all things -- I know I fail often.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

We've become a disposable society... It's often cheaper to sell off/throw out something worn and then to buy new.

Mouthpiece express sells a Helleberg for $80, and add $50 to gold plate it. So your customer could have purchased a new Helleberg for less than what your charging him.

I have no doubt that your work is of better quality/consistency and has more finish. I doubt your customer gives a cr*p....

Advice: maybe you should limit refinishing to models that are not readily available? I doubt that part of this business (refinishing bachs, schilkes, and hellebergs, etc) is that lucrative (when time and issues like this are factored in) Most people refinishing known models want to pay less, most people who would have a custom piece refinshed, would do it because it doesn't exist anymore.

More unsolicited advice, take all your calls from a cell phone and get a voice recording app, that way in case of a dispute you could tell your customer "I have the recording of what you agreed upon, would you like to listen to it"

Lastly, in this case, the $25 difference (if I count that correctly) which he still owes you is just enough that it's an annoyance, but too low that it's worth taking any legal action like small claims court or the cops. Assuming your written emails and calls have gotten you nowhere, that all the costs are covered, and that the only thing you will be missing out on is an hour(?) of salary, I would wonder if spending more time on this would be worth it to me. The way I see it, every hour we spend on something (whether work, home renos, social events/gathering, etc) is worth "billable" time, if you have a business your time could directly be spent on projects that earn you money, instead of on venture that might not.

It must be frustrating for you, many days I'm glad I don't have to deal with some of this crap in my job.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
pittbassdaddy
bugler
bugler

Post by pittbassdaddy »

Is the fight worth $25?

If yes or maybe, you could always send another bill for the remaining balance and see what happens.

If its the principal of the thing and the remaining balance is not paid in a timely manner, using a collection agency may be an option. Small claims court could also work, but the fees will likely greatly exceed the outstanding balance.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I'm just going to guess:
1) This customer won't be back.
2) You'll do just fine without this customer.
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

I just find it unbelievable that some people will nickel-and-dime you to death.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Very surprised you're finding this out only now. Am I right that a major part of your work is with trombone players? That must be it - working with trombone players so much of the time, you've been insulated from the harsh realities of common human nature.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Doug Elliott wrote:I just find it unbelievable that some people will nickel-and-dime you to death.

I put a lot of ceramic tiles on a local classified site for $5.00 for 60 tiles 12x12 tiles. (3 different styles 40 of one, two of the other)

A guy asked me what my best price was.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bort wrote:I'm just going to guess:
1) This customer won't be back.
2) You'll do just fine without this customer.
The key is spotting them ahead of time and requiring payment up front.

Especially if you have to send the part out to another party for plating or what have you.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

Oh, I'm well aware... I'm still constantly amazed at people who will take advantage of every situation no matter who they step on to get what they want. But that's the climate these days.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Well, I just sold some land and had two parties with offers within less than a day of each other, who both responded to my counter offer, which was the same to both. One of them had low-balled me and put ridiculous picayune demands in his original offer, while the second one had actually offered 1K more than the asking price without asking anything ridiculous. They both accepted the counter offer, and I chose the one who was not an ***. Not only because he was not an *** to me, but because he would not be an *** to the neighbors, who are quite nice. You didn't ask my advice, but it is to not waste your emotional energy on asses and let it go. The older you get, the easier that is.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

"blokelisted!!" :lol:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

I ordered a low level flute from Bloke a few years ago, as a Christmas present for my then boyfriend who kept complaining about his flute. He rejected it out of hand because of its poorer quality than what he was playing and complaining about. So, since I was not interested in learning flute, I sent it back, with complete courtesy from Bloke for having done so. And I learned two things: Bloke is an honest and fair business man, and not to buy presents for a jerk.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.