Messina Covers

The bulk of the musical talk
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Messina Covers

Post by Rivercity Tuba »

I just received my custom case for my Eastman 6/4 tuba. I am blown away! Quality is on the level of Cronkhite (Roughly half the price), customization (Color, embroidered name, Yankee emblem and Jolly Rogers) included. David Messina was fantastic to work with and was very responsive to my desires. Truly takes care of his customers.

I could not justify the recent Cronkhite price increases. I encourage all to check him out. I am picky with my gear and he made me very happy!

I own a Cronkhite for my 4/4 Eastman, so I am very familiar with their product Very fast turn around time.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rivercity Tuba on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Messina Covers

Post by Rivercity Tuba »

Another picture, Zipper protector
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Thank you for sharing. I'll definitely check them out next time I need a new gig bag.
J.Harris
bugler
bugler

Post by J.Harris »

I have one of their bags for my Eastman 4/4 CC. I would certainly say it's serviceable but I don't think it's quite near the level of quality of a Cronkhite bag. The foam is not nearly as dense as a Cronkhite and the attachment points of the straps are not as sound. I haven't had any issues and the Messina is certainly at a better price point, but I do find myself being a bit more mindful when using it.
Jason C. Harris
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I'm mot sure I would want my name on my back as I am walking through town (or a Yankees logo :roll:), but it's nice that you have the option.

How much did this cost, all told?
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

I have owned and used three Messina Covers gig bags as well as two Cronkhite gig bags. The level of fit and finish in both maker's work is excellent. If I were to be purchasing another bag, I would look to David Messina first. His customer service is excellent, he returns emails promptly and is prepared to deal with incredibly picky customers such as myself. The Cronkhite bags are the gold standard, however the recent pricing structure certainly gives one pause to think. The pricing combined with the state of the Canadian dollar versus the American would make the Messina Covers option seem much more attractive. A custom Cronkhite gig bag for any of my horns would be at least $2000-$2500 CAD. For that price, I would rather use the money for an older horn that I am interested in. Messina Covers for the win!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

The most expensive Cronkhite bag is ONLY $1551 CAD. And there's always a 20% off sale going on it seems.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Ken Crawford wrote:The most expensive Cronkhite bag is ONLY $1551 CAD. And there's always a 20% off sale going on it seems.
ONLY, :lol: :lol: :lol:

But you missed a couple things:

$1551 + shipping ($96)+ customs(only $9.95 with USPS/CP) + taxes(10% for previous poster)= +/-$1821.60. Plus credit cards/banks often take 2% on the exchange.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

tofu wrote:What is the buckle next to the Yankees logo used for?
D-ring for a detachable duffel-style shoulder strap, I’d imagine. Guessing there’s a complimentary one on the reverse side near the bottom bow.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

A very good plan!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

I do not have a Messina Covers tuba gig bag, but most of the bass players in the orchestra I work with have Messina bass cases. I've looked them over very carefully, including one made just in the last few weeks, and they are as well made as any gig bag out there. I know that bass cases are their bread and butter and they've been building them for years, so the design has been pretty highly refined, but still...looking at those is a solid indicator of materials and workmanship.

In every case (no pun intended) the owners of those cases are pleased with their purchases. Seems to be the same with those that have had Messina tuba bags made for them.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.