Concertos with BAND accompaniment

The bulk of the musical talk
greenmusic23f
lurker
lurker

Concertos with BAND accompaniment

Post by greenmusic23f »

Hello!

Every year my college has a concerto competition. The soloist(s) get to play a piece accompanied by the band. The works do not have to be concertos, per se; they just need to have band (concert band, wind ensemble, wind band) accompaniment. And they don’t have to originally have been written for band -- one of the soloists this year is playing a Mozart concerto. To that end, I’m looking for (or to create) a database of such works that have band accompaniment. If such a database already exists, please let me know!

I am especially interested in compositions that have multiple soloists, such as "Fandango", by Joseph Turrin, for Trumpet, Trombone, and Wind Ensemble. Due to the nature of the competition, works need to also have a version with a piano part/reduction, although I will include pieces that don’t meet this criterion in my database. The composition, with band accompaniment, needs to be available somewhere to rent or purchase. Works that essentially only exist as recordings don’t really help me.

The database (which I’ve set up a template for in case there is not already one, especially for the “multiple concertos”) will be free to access at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing" target="_blank"

Please either post here or preferably email concertoproject@yahoo.com" target="_blank. Must have info: Title, Composer, Instrument(s). Optional useful info: duration, year, publisher (of full concerto and of reduction) arranger (of reduction, for example), difficulty, etc.

I will be posting this message on forums dedicated to each band instrument; sorry if you see it multiple times.

Thank you for all your help!

(I did post an earlier, less ambitious message on this forum earlier; it can be found at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74420" target="_blank )
fourbass
bugler
bugler

Re: Concertos with BAND accompaniment

Post by fourbass »

Vaughan Williams tuba Concerto
Gregson tuba Concerto
Frank Bencriscutto Concertino for Tuba and Band
Alec Wilder Concerto for tuba and Band
James Barnes Tuba Concert
Works arranged/published by Patrick Sheridan
https://sites.google.com/site/beckertuba/home-1
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Cerveny "Piggy" CC
B&S Symphonie Model F
Bundy tenor trombone
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

Beelzebub, by A. Catozzi
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
graybach
bugler
bugler

Post by graybach »

The Robert Jager "Concerto for Bass Tuba" has a Band version as well as a piano reduction.
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

The Woodward is a notable "recent" concerto w/ band.
[/post]
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Buy or borrow from a library a copy of the Tuba Source Book.

It has entire sections in the book on these topics - solo with band, solo with .... etc., etc., etc.

I believe there is another book (or possibly the latest edition of the Tuba Source Book?) called Guide to the Tuba Repertoire.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Paul Maybery
lurker
lurker

Post by Paul Maybery »

Concertino Three Brass and Band )Tuba, Trombone & Trumpet.) Floyd Werle. Copyright 1975: New York, Bourne(Chappell)
Did this one about 25 years ago with a university band on tour. Fun, challenging and good listening.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

Somewhat off the subject, but how did Paul accumulate 7 posts in 8 years? Possibly a glitch in the meter, Mark?
Bearin' up!
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

scottw wrote:Somewhat off the subject, but how did Paul accumulate 7 posts in 8 years? Possibly a glitch in the meter, Mark?
Different user?

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=445733" target="_blank
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
Tuba Shorty
lurker
lurker

Post by Tuba Shorty »

I don't know if this helps because there is not a tuba solo but there are several solos within the piece that could be played on tuba.

Title: Flourishes and Variants
Composer: Barry Kopetz
Solo Instruments: French horn, Alto saxophone, Trumpet, and Clarinet
Total instruments: flute, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, bari saxophone, bass clarinet, trumpet, french horn, trombone, euphonium/baritone, tuba, and percussive instruments (So basically a whole ensemble)