early morning

The bulk of the musical talk
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: early morning

Post by iiipopes »

Today is "early morning" for this thread. I worked until 2:30 a.m. overnight, and only got a couple hours sleep. So since I did not get to sleep my normal allotment per night, it is still early morning from my perspective as I go get my second cup of coffee; therefore I am entitled to post at this time today.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Tim Jackson
bugler
bugler

Post by Tim Jackson »

2nd cup down and contemplating #3.
First tuba thoughts today-

Just ordered Modern Flexibilities for Brass by Scott Belck -hope it comes today.

After my evening tuba studies/on-line (when it's to late to play) My first thought this morning: I'm spending to much time on flexibility and not enough time on strength/long tones. I will bring Caruso back into my routine.

I see the tuba as a cello. For those of you that are more advanced bassists including arco it is interesting to imagine playing on the finger board with a bow as you play tuba.

I wish there was more playing ideas tossed around tubenet than all the horn/mouthpiece fuss... but I am guilty as well.

I guess I'll skip the tuba convention. I have paying gigs that I will enjoy. Sure would like to try some of the new horns.
Wonder if I would find something I like better than my Nirschl- just creates more trouble/better stay away.

Early thoughts during coffee are random ... now I have to catch up on contracts for gigs, a woodworking project and spend time with my daughter home from college.

Life is good in my early morning tuba world.

Tim
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

First tuba thoughts:

"I should probably get my butt to wind ensemble rehearsal." and "Why are we playing Music for Prague first thing in the morning?"

"I should have picked flute" -Me as I carry my Hirsbrunner up and down the stairs.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

Though breaking the rules of the thread by answering in the afternoon, my tuba-related thoughts are the same every morning as I have my first cup of coffee: I wish all I had to do this morning was a full, long, relaxed warm-up.

But....that would wake the baby. And my wife. And it would not end up being full, long, or relaxed as a result.

So, coffee and the Think System it is.
williamp
bugler
bugler

Post by williamp »

finishing my coffee before heading into my studio for morning practice session. Before finishing the coffee I'd been:

thinking about how I've ended up with three incredibly high quality large BBbs (one over the shoulder helicon and two concert tubas), because that's what all my music jobs have required for some time now.

thinking about how nice it would be to pick up that beautiful York EEb (work by Bloke) that has come up for sale again.

thinking (somewhat regretfully) about how I will spend that money instead on painting my old house this summer.
Cdub
bugler
bugler

Post by Cdub »

That my schlipf mute would arrive soon so I could practice without waking the wife and/or kiddo.
Mack 410gb
On Wisconsin
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

Right now, I'm sitting and trying to homework, but really just surfing web.

I have a Geometry assignment, 30 vocab cards, tests to study for (AP human, Biology, Hindi). Also a biology Research paper.
Will get started now.....
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Had to leave home at 4:30 to go to the airport. I was afraid of oversleeping and missing my flight (has happened before), so I basically stayed up all night.

General tuba thoughts...
-- I used to be a better tuba player
-- No wait, I'm a better player now, I'm just out of shape
-- No wait, I'm about the same, but out of shape, and own a nicer instrument
-- Wait, wait, I know, I'm a better player, out of shape, and own a *bigger* instrument
-- I should have slept last night!
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oldschooltuba »

Great rehearsal last night. Played until 10. Sleeping my midnight. Already warming up this morning.
Eric Hunter
http://www.tubaforum.net/index.php" target="_blank
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

YORK-aholic wrote:Which time zone are we using for reference?

Like adult beverages, it's 7:00 somewhere where there is also a tuba...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

Should I shave my mustache? Do I want to look like a doofus, or sound like a doofus?
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

7:26 AM.......

Which project can I wreck today?
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

Wait...............there's a 7:30 in the AM too?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Mark Finley wrote:... I'll put about 600 miles on my car.
Have you often been reimbursed more for mileage than for showing up to the gig??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Voisi1ev wrote:Should I shave my mustache? Do I want to look like a doofus, or sound like a doofus?
Try clearing off a little notch in the middle, just enough that the middle of your upper lip peeks out and a hint of skin above it. No guarantees, either that it help playing or look acceptable.

Big news coming. Maybe. Probably months down the road. New day for tuba players, worth waiting for.

It's before 7:30, but not before first dose of coffee. Nothing before breakfast & coffee.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:...increasing pressure from customers to get their broken instruments repaired.
I take it your customers don't have the interwebs to find out what you are really up to??

Especially that fat dimwit that drinks too much and smells so bad you are always talking about??

:shock:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Post by basslizard »

Is it better to make a fresh half gallon of coffee or to continue to drink the full gallon that someone on the previous shift made but in no way made a dent in? I have two coffee cups in front of me, one insulated, and the other a traditional mug. There's a ball of yarn in the mug because I'm test-knitting a lace shawl for a designer. Is it still lunch if my meal break is at 4 am? I eat breakfast when I get home from work, and supper before I leave.

I want to buy a rigid heddle loom, but for the same cost, I could get a new leadpipe, one that would allow me to put my tuba on my shoulder when I stand to play instead of using the strap/belt across my back and shoulders. Of course, with a loom, I could weave a wide, sturdy strap to support my tuba when I'm standing to play. I could weave them in different colors for different occasions.
Old Ugly - a Jupiter JCP -384 tuba
1916 Buescher Eb
Elkhart Conn 62H Bass Trombone
American Standard 1929 Bb Baritone
Beaufort 1920's Euphonium
1960's Bundy oboe - family heirloom, has been played by three generations
Tom Mason
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tom Mason »

I don't want to hear your whining about early morning.......LOL

Up at 5:00 a.m. every day.
On the roads by 6:30 a.m.
Cup one and two on the road.......
Will see two or three drivers who want to pass in no passing zones and not stop at school buses picking up lids. Easy call to state troopers of deputies on the road.
School by 7:30 getting ready for the lovely job of teaching baroque music history to 7th graders who need to get a clue.....
Cup number three as I listen to Errol Garner doing classics.......
Third period at 10:00 and teaching a 9th grade convert from clarinet to tuba........
It only gets better as I get out of school at 3:00 just to discover that I'm on the rotation for afternoon/evening patrol duty....
Get home after midnight just to repeat.....
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

I sleep 10:30 PM to 4:00 AM

then back to studying..........
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

Tom Mason wrote:I don't want to hear your whining about early morning.......LOL

Up at 5:00 a.m. every day.
On the roads by 6:30 a.m.
Cup one and two on the road.......
Will see two or three drivers who want to pass in no passing zones and not stop at school buses picking up lids. Easy call to state troopers of deputies on the road.
School by 7:30 getting ready for the lovely job of teaching baroque music history to 7th graders who need to get a clue.....
Cup number three as I listen to Errol Garner doing classics.......
Third period at 10:00 and teaching a 9th grade convert from clarinet to tuba........
It only gets better as I get out of school at 3:00 just to discover that I'm on the rotation for afternoon/evening patrol duty....
Get home after midnight just to repeat.....
I'm always more appreciate of my teaching gig in that we don't have weird duties like working the ticket stand at athletic events or this patrol you speak of.