early morning

The bulk of the musical talk
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Re: early morning

Post by basslizard »

bloke wrote: Mrs. bloke weaves and spins...You should find her on fb - if you have an account. She has some pretty fancy spinning wheels, but just also acquired a (genuine / very-very old / working-condition...which is rare) "great wheel" as well.

Here are the "great wheel", one of her other spinning wheels, and three of her small/portable looms. (Thankfully, all the BIG looms - due to their size - stay in the "loom room".)
In my current house, I do not have a loom room. I do keep my Minstrel wheel in the living room, along with a giant work basket of fiber and projects. My vintage wheel resides in the basement next to the television that I don't watch. Mr. basslizard asked me if the wheels were going to live in my sewing room. Silly man, that's where I keep things I'm not working on! It's a very small space in a very small house.
More coffee is needed to get through this shift. Now the question is whether or not to eat my last can of soup from my desk drawer or go to the all-night gas station for junk food. I sometimes bring my drop spindles to work for breaks in keeping telecommunication services up across the state.
Old Ugly - a Jupiter JCP -384 tuba
1916 Buescher Eb
Elkhart Conn 62H Bass Trombone
American Standard 1929 Bb Baritone
Beaufort 1920's Euphonium
1960's Bundy oboe - family heirloom, has been played by three generations
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

When do you find the time to watch TV, play video games and fun stuff like that??

:roll:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

Up at 5-somethingAM daily, no coffee, take an omeprazol so that in 30 minutes I can eat breakfast with Mrs. Stofer, who leaves for work at 6:40AM, then I head to the shop. Challenging rehearsal last night, neck pain this morning - not getting any younger, can still play well, but increasingly pay for it afterwards. Clean-up the shop a bit - Now a little chocolate, but no coffee - have had one cup in my life as a teenager, made me sick to my stomach, never again, not even through 22 years in the Army. Got to check on shipping to Alberta, Canada for a Schlipf mute - how much extra is that going to cost? Got to pack the euphonium to go to Florida, get it out this morning, then visit a local school. I hope that the school that I sold a reconditioned bari sax to is going to get their act together and pay within my lifetime - glad the teacher says the kids just love that horn. Want to get going on building Stofer CC tuba #4, but I accepted all these restorations that I now have to do - what was I thinking? Will pull out Rudy 3/4 CC to do restoration work on, satisfying to work on really good brass - Time to hit the chocolate again, as that is my only caffeine source. . .
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Tim Jackson
bugler
bugler

Post by Tim Jackson »

thinking... maybe just 1-2 tubas! sad, but just want to spend time with the best of the lot. A sign of old age maybe. Sell some of the heard and maybe buy one more super tuba! Had a bad wedding/bride last week and a great wedding/bride this past weekend... woman! Actually not really a bad one in 20 years of gigging but last week bridezilla!

I love wedding receptions for my pop band$$ I remind myself - they fund my biz & tuba life!

More coffee... always get to take it easy on Monday & Tuesday!
Tom Mason
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tom Mason »

I've always ~really~ admired Tom Mason, and have wished that I was more like him (harder working / more giving / more of a grown-up / more of a servant of others / etc.)
Tom has really rolled with the punches in his life, and has prevailed in spite of dealing with some tough things.
Once, I wasn't able to help him (back when I owned a brick-and-mortar store, and was so busy that I really couldn't even look after myself) and felt bad about it (still do). He actually offered me a really friendly smile when I - regretfully - turned him down.
When I've been able to, I've tried to do whatever I could for Tom, when he has asked.

I'm not as good as Joe says. I simply look for ways to work smarter, not harder.

I also believe that if you gripe about something, you need to be able to suggest a solution. My law enforcement job is an application to the theory that if I don't like how people act around me, then I need to legally be part of the solution. Joe works better, harder and like me, works for the love of music.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

TheTuba wrote:I sleep 10:30 PM to 4:00 AM

then back to studying..........
Assuming a 90 minute cycle to get through all stages of sleep, you end up short. You get 3 plus an hour. If you could find a way to get 4 complete cycles, just another 30 minutes, you wouldn't have to wake out of a deep sleep stage.

Maybe. I dunno. There's a theory you don't need the number of sleep hours per se, you need the number of complete cycles, ideally 5 but 4 is okay.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

timothy42b wrote:

Assuming a 90 minute cycle to get through all stages of sleep, you end up short. You get 3 plus an hour. If you could find a way to get 4 complete cycles, just another 30 minutes, you wouldn't have to wake out of a deep sleep stage.

Maybe. I dunno. There's a theory you don't need the number of sleep hours per se, you need the number of complete cycles, ideally 5 but 4 is okay.
I hate to flame/troll myself, but is anyone else unconvinced this kid isn't a troll account?
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

5:25 AM -

Should I buy the Nuwave Brio Digital Air Fryer?

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

Voisi1ev wrote:
timothy42b wrote:

I hate to flame/troll myself, but is anyone else unconvinced this kid isn't a troll account?

lol sorry if I seemed that way.
Also, at the time I said that it was "Make or Break" week at school,Had a quiz, EOC, another quiz, a AP test, and a Geometry test friday.
Its better now, sleep from 9:30pm to 5:00am

when I hear kids complaining on how they wake up at 6...........it gets me angry
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

Whatever the pop science says, there is no doubt teenagers in high school end up chronically sleep deprived. I don't know any good answer except for them to catch up when they can. Most seem to be so programmed with extracurricular activities there isn't a lot of time to spare.

All the books on sleep I've read agree that your circadian cycle shifts during your life, with teenagers tending to be night owls. It would be an improvement to start school later, but I know in our area that's been abandoned as impractical. There are too many logistical issues with buses, balancing elementary and middle school, etc. I get up at 0530 every morning so I can hit the practice room before work, and it isn't hard, but I remember as a college student being unable to get to an 0800 class.
paulver

Post by paulver »

Well, didn't get to practice yesterday... gotta do that today.
Last Saturday our daughter participated in the PMEA All-State Concert Band on french horn at the State music convention..... got 1st chair, 1st horn. In fact, she got that same seat throughout all of the band and orchestra festivals this school year leading up to the All State festival. She's a junior in high school here in PA. Rather talented kid.
Watching the geese and their goslings float across our pond....... really cute.
Gonna get my tea and something to much on.
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

roweenie wrote:5:25 AM -

Should I buy the Nuwave Brio Digital Air Fryer?
I swear by the basic cheaper Air Fryer. Just need the two dials, one for temp and one for time. Although you can't really "fry" with these, they are the absolute bomb when making frozen convenience things (fries, fried clams, mac and cheese balls, veggie tots, etc. most everything that's bad for you). Also great for making hard boiled eggs (250 for 16 min, good for you) with no clean up! Thinks the digital version is something unnecessary which may crap out faster.
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)