Have you ever...

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Have you ever...

Post by bort »

-- placed an order for something (like a mouthpiece) that is customized / one-off...
-- it took a while for you to get it...
-- by the time you got it, you realized you were "over it"...
-- then felt bad about wanting to sell it?

I rarely keep more than a couple of mouthpieces on-hand at any time, so usually, if something isn't shaping up to be useful, out it goes. Just having a harder time wrapping my head around this one.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Have you ever...

Post by Three Valves »

Buyer's AND Seller's remorse??

Buddy, you got issues!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Mark

Post by Mark »

No
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I do tend to keep a custom item wayyyyyyyyyyy past its usefulness, under the attitude of, "Well, I designed it; I requested it; I paid for it; I better d@#^ well use it and get my return on my investment out of it." But not because in the meantime I got buyer's remorse.

The best personal anecdote I have is the Curry 128D I used to have that Vladimir @ Dillon Music narrowed the rim so it wouldn't bump my nose. I played that mouthpiece on my 186 before it was rebuilt into my Bessophone. Before, the tuba was a stock 186 variant with the detachable front bell and the retrofit St Pete upright bell. Great mouthpiece. Great tone. Easy to play. Perfect fit to the horn. Played it for years, wearing the silver off the rim. But when the tuba was rebuilt with the Besson bell, the response with the Curry mouthpiece was not there, and I had to change mouthpieces. I hung on to it for wayyyy too long before selling it until I was completely convinced that, just like gaining weight and outgrowing a pair of 42R suit pants and needing a larger size, but keeping them because they look good and "I will wear them again - someday," I did finally sell it years later after it was obvious I had not played it in so long it was tarnishing on the shelf and would never play it again.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

Sorta...

I asked a company to make me a slight variation on one of their rims. I asked for a much deeper rim before it became an advertised option.

A year passed. I completely forgot that I had requested it.

It shows up in the mail. Had I thought about it that same day or even a few weeks before I might not have ordered one. I paid for it since I requested it.

I still have it though, and honestly I do like it for certain things, but it's not my main thing.