New Horn!!

The bulk of the musical talk
KevinMadden
3 valves
3 valves

New Horn!!

Post by KevinMadden »

Posting my obligatory, "I GOT A NEW HORN" post. I'm making a pretty substantial change from my York Master CC and going with the new 6/4 5-valve BBb from Wessex. I found this horn to have excellent intonation (even with me overcoming the key shift, and 13 years of habits picked up on a CC with more 'vintage' intonation), it has a sound that is befitting it's physical size (absolutely friggin' huge) but it also surprisingly nimble and responsive. This is my first venture into the BAT club, so I'm sure there will be lots to learn and adjust to. Also, just fyi, there will probably be a 5/4 4-valve mostly silver plate CC York Master on the for sale page pretty soon.

/This is from MWRTEC :tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
Ithaca College, B.M. 2009
University of Nebraska - Lincoln, M.M. 2017, D.M.A. 2020
Wessex Artiste
Wessex "Grand" BBb, Wessex Solo Eb, Wessex Dulce
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: New Horn!!

Post by TheTuba »

Congrats! it looks great!

If I may ask, will you post a review of this horn in the future? Many players probably want one, but aren't sure about dishing out the money for it.
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by michael_glenn »

Congrats! You sounded great at the masterclass!
Michael Ebie
PhD Music Theory (in progress) — University of Cincinnati CCM
MM Music Theory — Michigan State University
MM Tuba Performance — Michigan State University
BM Brass Performance — University of Akron
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Looking forward to video or written review of this horn. Congrats.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Doc wrote:Review and sound samples, please!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aUcoKW6O71
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Missing a "Q" at the end of the URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUcoKW6O71Q" target="_blank

I'll be curious to hear if this ends up being "too big."
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Bort, thanks for correcting the URL.

Disclaimer: Chris mentions a 5th valve on the prototype that he plays in the video. Subsequent to the posting of this YouTube, the decision was made to introduce a second 6/4 BBb. This tuba is known as the "Prokofiev." Currently in prototype form only, this instrument has a hand-hammered bell just as the "Chicago-York" and "Chicago-Presence" 6/4 CC tubas do, and will sell at the same price as those two CC's (see https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/tubas). The "Grand," which is the tuba that Chris reviewed and Kevin acquired, has a machine-formed bell, 4 valves, and a price that is significantly lower than the other three Wessex 6/4 tuba models.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

Steve Marcus wrote:Bort, thanks for correcting the URL.

Disclaimer: Chris mentions a 5th valve on the prototype that he plays in the video. Subsequent to the posting of this YouTube, the decision was made to introduce a second 6/4 BBb. This tuba is known as the "Prokofiev." Currently in prototype form only, this instrument has a hand-hammered bell just as the "Chicago-York" and "Chicago-Presence" 6/4 CC tubas do, and will sell at the same price as those two CC's (see https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/tubas). The "Grand," which is the tuba that Chris reviewed and Kevin acquired, has a machine-formed bell, 4 valves, and a price that is significantly lower than the other three Wessex 6/4 tuba models.
My 2 Internet cents.

Tried the Hand Hammered Bb at NABBA, in the 3-4 minute loud room test, I think I liked it more than the C horns, even though C is my primary. Easy playing. I thought it felt way better than the current 6/4 machined horn.

I think it was mentioned in one of the reviews, but the rotar feels fantastic. Short throw, smooth action.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Steve Marcus wrote:The "Grand," which is the tuba that Chris reviewed and Kevin acquired, has a machine-formed bell, 4 valves, and a price that is significantly lower than the other three Wessex 6/4 tuba models.
Just to clarify, the Grand which Chris Olka reviewed and the one Kevin has purchased has 5-valves. However only a handful of 5-valve Grand have been manufactured. All future TB692 Grand will be 4-valve (available from August), with the 5-valve 6/4 BBb being the TB693 Prokofiev which will all be hand-hammered and therefore lightweight like the 6/4 CC’s - and sold at similar price.

The TB692 Grand will be sold 4-valve as a lower price alternative aimed at concert band use. The characteristics Chris Olka mentions in his video review make it ideal for this purpose, while the TB693 Prokofiev is aimed at professionals and large symphony orchestra use (such as for Prokofiev and Shostakovich).
KevinMadden
3 valves
3 valves

Post by KevinMadden »

Correct, my horn is 5 valves.

Initial reactions after the first week:

I will try to make essentially a copy of Chris's video in about a month or so (I hope he won't mind!) School is winding up to finals week at the moment and I'm not quite getting the time in I want on the horn, but summer approaches..... 8)

I am still very much in love with this horn, but I am still learning it, and for me, there's a lot to learn. The biggest hurdle at the moment is adjusting my air to blow that kind of low voltage high amperage air you need to make one of these really rumble. I'm so used to being able to just honk through my YM when the playing got loud that changing the concept to actually getting more relaxed when I need more volume is difficult. I am working with the upper-middle registers at the moment too, I think this is mainly a BBb thing than anything else, played CC for a long time. I will say that working the Wes Jacobs super-low Bordogni has been an absolute joy and may be my new favorite tuba pass time :tuba:
Wessex Artiste
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

KevinMadden wrote: I will say that working the Wes Jacobs super-low Bordogni has been an absolute joy and may be my new favorite tuba pass time :tuba:
I had a question about volume one here;

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6441" target="_blank

Is the extra low stuff and alternate keys in the complete volume as well or is it exclusive to the "low etude" volumes 1-3??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
KevinMadden
3 valves
3 valves

Post by KevinMadden »

Three Valves wrote:
KevinMadden wrote: I will say that working the Wes Jacobs super-low Bordogni has been an absolute joy and may be my new favorite tuba pass time :tuba:
I had a question about volume one here;

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6441" target="_blank" target="_blank

Is the extra low stuff and alternate keys in the complete volume as well or is it exclusive to the "low etude" volumes 1-3??
Sadly exclusive to volume 1, volume 2 starts at #16 and are just presented in one key, I haven't actually taken the time to compare them back to the Rochuts.
Wessex Artiste
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Thanks,

Best wishes on the BAT!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.