How to convince parents to buy tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Re: How to convince parents to buy tuba?

Post by royjohn »

While I'm far from the type to encourage kids to spend money, one has to have a sense of proportion. A used tuba that is playable could be had for $700 to $1500 and a college education is going to cost, even at a State University, $40K, and I think that is just the tuition. They just are not in the same ballpark. So if the school provides a horn that works for the OP, great, but if for some reason he needs his own horn, the money spent on it isn't going to increase his college debt appreciably if he spends wisely. So I would advise the OP to bear in mind all the great advice in this thread, and, when he reaches the age to decide for himself about a horn, to figure out what is best for himself. It could be that the OP's family is less than flush with cash and this may influence their current point of view. If the OP gets to college and manages his studies well and gets some financial assistance, maybe everybody in the family will look at the tuba issue in a more relaxed fashion. Not by bread alone, you know. :D :D :D
royjohn
Fergie
bugler
bugler

Post by Fergie »

Don't get tempted in buying a cheap clone. I made that mistake going into college because I couldn't afford a decent tuba at the time. If I had waited a year, I could have purchased a good use horn.

Tom's suggestion is probably the best one here:
Tom wrote:My suggestion to you at this stage in your tuba playing career is to channel your excitement for the tuba into playing it rather than buying stuff. Keep working at becoming a better player on your current school-supplied setup. It doesn't cost you anything. Doing so also positions you well to continue playing well into the future and gives you a good skill set to be able to pick out your own tuba someday.
Dvorak probably wrote the the fourteen notes in New World Symphony to get his tuba friends a gig.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

ummmm maybe bag groceries? walk dogs? take burger orders? collect scrap metal? mine cryptocurrency?
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

TheGoyWonder wrote:ummmm maybe bag groceries? walk dogs? take burger orders? collect scrap metal? mine cryptocurrency?
I definitely would, but my parents don't want me to work until after college.
I'll save up in my highschool years guys. Thanks for the new comments!
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

Doc wrote:
TheTuba wrote: ...my parents don't want me to work until after college...
Are you serious?
As a management professional involved in the screening of potential employees, I can say this: graduating college with no work experience whatsoever will get your application and resume thrown into the trash nearly 100% of the time.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

That's why I got a job in school.

My parents wouldn't buy me beer!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

The Indian education system is VERY different than the American one.
Basically if you get high grades there, you're good to go.
However, my parents (mom mostly) do not understand this one completely.
I believe that even without a job, being in band will still help me stand out.(If im good)(no bragging but I think I am......for a 9th grader anyway.Can't hold a candle to you folks.)
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

TheTuba wrote:The Indian education system is VERY different than the American one.
And that ain't all...

Here, when we say "I'm making marriage arrangements" it's also a completely different thing!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Tuba Shorty
lurker
lurker

Post by Tuba Shorty »

For me at least, my parents don't want to have to pay for my college so they're relying on me to get scholarships. Over the past few years I've convinced my parents to get me lessons and to buy an Eastman ebc-632 tuba (We got it for sale for 4,000). I used the card of "well since you don't want to pay for my college, you could help me get scholarships with tuba by helping me pay for lessons." Later I brought the fact up to them that I am going to need a tuba in college since I'll be continuing music, and that the tuba they'll buy me is my ticket into college. It was definitely not a one conversation thing. My parents never bought me a car for my birthday like normal kids, I got a tuba instead.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Tuba Shorty wrote: ...My parents never bought me a car for my birthday like normal kids...
:shock:
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

As a teenager, I mowed lawns, performed general yard work, delivered newspapers, deep-cleaned a health spa after closing on weekends (disgusting work!), was a church sexton (aka cleaner), prepared a swim club for opening, babysat, and saved almost every nickel from relatives' birthday gifts.

With all I saved, at the age of 17, I was able to buy by myself a brand-new King 1241, as a junior in high school.

NO OTHER PURCHASE in my life, before or since, has been nearly as satisfying.

Oh, and I also bought (in the same year) my first car (1968 Chevy II, three on the column), for $1400 less than I paid for the tuba.......

(and I also walked, uphill, both to and from school in the snow in May with no shoes..... :D )
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:
Tuba Shorty wrote:...My parents never bought me a car for my birthday like normal kids...
This is a troll, yes...??
You can't troll a troller!!

TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

I have a pet rock
Tuba Shorty
lurker
lurker

Post by Tuba Shorty »

Three Valves wrote:
bloke wrote:
Tuba Shorty wrote:...My parents never bought me a car for my birthday like normal kids...
This is a troll, yes...??
You can't troll a troller!!

It ain't a troll. Literally every kid I know has had their parent's buy them a car for their birthday or graduation. Some of them even new 2018 cars! I honestly don't think it's the smartest to give to a new driver but, it's apparently the norm where I live.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Tuba Shorty wrote:it's apparently the norm where I live.
Where people are normal.

Other places, people are not so normal.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Tuba Shorty wrote:
It ain't a troll. Literally every kid I know has had their parent's buy them a car for their birthday or graduation. Some of them even new 2018 cars! I honestly don't think it's the smartest to give to a new driver but, it's apparently the norm where I live.
I also went to High School in an area reminiscent of Ferris Beuler's Day Off.

With the exception that the only kid that drove a new car to school was the daughter of a car dealership owner, most of us worked after school (miraculously went to college and became successful despite our handicap) and overt displays of consumption were considered tacky. (Well known corporate executives drove Chrysler K-cars made locally)
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

hup_d_dup wrote:
Where people are normal.
...and all the children are above average!!

Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

My siblings and I convinced my parents to buy us instruments by practicing for hours a day and demonstrating proficiency.
Aglenntuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Aglenntuba »

I got my first tuba in 2014 by starting my job sacking groceries when I was 15. I saved up that money, plus any birthday or graduation money, and then my parents cosigned a $2000 bank loan for me. I was able to pay it off relatively easy (~$70 a month if I remember? I often paid extra to get it done earlier) and this also jump started my credit score as well. I would definitely recommend getting a part time job. Since my first tuba just about paid for college, I have also been able to take out a conservatively sized student loan (subsidized, so it isn't accruing interest yet) for my 2nd tuba.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Slamson wrote:It never ceases to amaze me that my students can't afford to buy a tuba... but they all drive nicer, newer vehicles than I do. Parents don't seem to have any qualms about buying them something that will, at best, give them transportation for a couple of years, when a tuba can last a lifetime. Kind of like an education in general.

Short-sighted budgeting. And then there's the lack of depreciation.... my first tuba's worth lots more today than when I bought it.
To add to that.....do you have a smart phone and what did it cost and what is it costing? I spent some $$$ on the tuba I wanted, but I use a $20 (literally) flip phone I bought at Target, that costs me a$45 a month in pay-ahead fees. No it does not have a data plan; my local library has computers I can use daily for online whatever, and the library card is free. I see people on public assistance using expensive smart phones with huge data plans and consider them a "necessity." Huh? So what are you willing to give up in order to have more money free to spend on a tuba? That would be a place to negotiate with your parents.