How to convince parents to buy tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: How to convince parents to buy tuba?

Post by TheTuba »

MaryAnn wrote:
Slamson wrote:It never ceases to amaze me that my students can't afford to buy a tuba... but they all drive nicer, newer vehicles than I do. Parents don't seem to have any qualms about buying them something that will, at best, give them transportation for a couple of years, when a tuba can last a lifetime. Kind of like an education in general.

Short-sighted budgeting. And then there's the lack of depreciation.... my first tuba's worth lots more today than when I bought it.
To add to that.....do you have a smart phone and what did it cost and what is it costing? I spent some $$$ on the tuba I wanted, but I use a $20 (literally) flip phone I bought at Target, that costs me a$45 a month in pay-ahead fees. No it does not have a data plan; my local library has computers I can use daily for online whatever, and the library card is free. I see people on public assistance using expensive smart phones with huge data plans and consider them a "necessity." Huh? So what are you willing to give up in order to have more money free to spend on a tuba? That would be a place to negotiate with your parents.
I don't really have anything of "my own"(phones,smart stuff, or video games). I guess hard work practicing for the next three years will help me
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

Ok my game plan is to save up as much money as I can for a Miraphone or a used PT

While Wessex and other cheap (as In pricepoint) tubas are certainly very good, I will wait in the process of saving up to see if they win any major audition, or conference. Once that happens, I know non-tuba people like that sound, and would use it in a band or orchestra.Then I would know that they have at least caught up with other manufacturers (if not already or close too)
Granted, in the mean time I need to play as many tubas as possible to get a idea of what I should buy.
Is my train of thought good?
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

Keep in mind... You're still going to sound like you no matter what you play. I'll always recommend buying a "tried and true" used brand rather than Chinese, but do believe that the gap in quality is shrinking quite fast between Chinese and German brands. About the major orchestra thing: Again, you are going to sound like you on any horn you play. Chris Olka sounds like Chris Olka on each Wessex horn. You need to find what horn plays the best for YOU, and stop worrying about silly things like which mouthpiece to buy or which case to buy. I get it, I went through that too. We all do. But I already have what I believe works best for me, and don't really see a need to change anything. Like I said, use your discretion. Good luck, and seriously, get a job asap, that's how you'll make the money for that horn!
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Post by pecktime »

There’s more to tuba music than the goal of winning auditions and playing in an orchestra.

Learn to play some jazz/ klezmer/ funk with some mates and you will earn $ right away, but more importantly learn a lot more about making music!

In fact, learn the euphonium and the bass guitar as well.

I know some amazing tuba players who don’t play half as much as me because they don’t have flexibility / improvisational skills/ openness to all music.
MW 3450, 2011TA HoJo, Conn 20J