How to convince parents to buy tuba? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: How to convince parents to buy tuba?

Postby hup_d_dup » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:30 am

Raghul, you can solve your problem by taking a slightly different path. Switch, for the time being, to euphonium. You can find a decent used euphonium for much less than the cost of an equivalent-quality tuba. The euphonium will broaden your experience and musicianship, and it is a fairly easy adjustment to get back to the tuba when the time is right. In the long run, you may continue to play both instruments.

Consider also: As a college student without enough money to pay for a tuba, you probably also don't have enough money for a car. Traveling on public transportation with a tuba is not fun. Much easier with a euphonium.

Hup
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Sousaswag » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:37 am

I actually own both and agree with the previous reply.. To an extent. If tuba is what you love, stick with it. Tuba is a bass part instrument and euphonium is a melody/everything else hybrid sort of deal. If you like what euphoniums do part wise, you'll love it. I, again, love both, but also have the luxury of owning both a tuba and a euphonium. I can switch between the two quite easily, and have been called on to do that in some concerts. But that takes some getting used to. FWIW, you seem to really enjoy the tuba. But I do agree that euphonium is a HUGE help musically. It is sort of all over the place in the ensemble and is a joy (and a challenge sometimes) to play. Hope this helps some.
VMI 3302 BBb
Besson 'New Standard' 968 euphonium
Sousaswag
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:14 pm

hup_d_dup wrote:Raghul, you can solve your problem by taking a slightly different path. Switch, for the time being, to euphonium. You can find a decent used euphonium for much less than the cost of an equivalent-quality tuba. The euphonium will broaden your experience and musicianship, and it is a fairly easy adjustment to get back to the tuba when the time is right. In the long run, you may continue to play both instruments.

Consider also: As a college student without enough money to pay for a tuba, you probably also don't have enough money for a car. Traveling on public transportation with a tuba is not fun. Much easier with a euphonium.

Hup

...or cello, and begin to discover what "music" is. :shock:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Tom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:00 pm

I get it...

You're excited about the tuba. Then you stumbled upon TubeNet and discovered all of us, often posting about equipment. You heard about all of the latest and greatest tubas and mouthpieces out there and got even more excited about the possibilities that might await you. You've decided you're serious about the tuba and can't imagine doing anything else. You got yourself to the point where the ultimate purchase would be to have your own tuba.

Many of us of have been there. I have been there.

My suggestion to you at this stage in your tuba playing career is to channel your excitement for the tuba into playing it rather than buying stuff. Keep working at becoming a better player on your current school-supplied setup. It doesn't cost you anything. Doing so also positions you well to continue playing well into the future and gives you a good skill set to be able to pick out your own tuba someday.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Mark Finley » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:23 pm

I'm tempted to Lock This Thread after Tom's post because it's the best advice that's been given
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:10 pm

Tom wrote:I get it...

You're excited about the tuba. Then you stumbled upon TubeNet and discovered all of us, often posting about equipment. You heard about all of the latest and greatest tubas and mouthpieces out there and got even more excited about the possibilities that might await you. You've decided you're serious about the tuba and can't imagine doing anything else. You got yourself to the point where the ultimate purchase would be to have your own tuba.

My suggestion to you at this stage in your tuba playing career is to channel your excitement for the tuba into playing it rather than buying stuff. Keep working at becoming a better player on your current school-supplied setup. It doesn't cost you anything. Doing so also positions you well to continue playing well into the future and gives you a good skill set to be able to pick out your own tuba someday.
bloke

Postby royjohn » Tue May 15, 2018 4:33 pm

While I'm far from the type to encourage kids to spend money, one has to have a sense of proportion. A used tuba that is playable could be had for $700 to $1500 and a college education is going to cost, even at a State University, $40K, and I think that is just the tuition. They just are not in the same ballpark. So if the school provides a horn that works for the OP, great, but if for some reason he needs his own horn, the money spent on it isn't going to increase his college debt appreciably if he spends wisely. So I would advise the OP to bear in mind all the great advice in this thread, and, when he reaches the age to decide for himself about a horn, to figure out what is best for himself. It could be that the OP's family is less than flush with cash and this may influence their current point of view. If the OP gets to college and manages his studies well and gets some financial assistance, maybe everybody in the family will look at the tuba issue in a more relaxed fashion. Not by bread alone, you know. :D :D :D
royjohn
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Wed May 16, 2018 1:57 pm

my Dad:

"bloke,
you wanna go to school after high school and study something like business, accounting, engineering...etc...I'll help you out, and help see if we can get you into a prestigious school...
...music...?? I don't know anything about that, and I'll let you figure out how to do that one (which school, how to pay for it, etc.) yourself...
...a tuba...?? Does the university have tubas? If you want a better one, I'm sure you can figure out a way to get one. You've bought other stuff that you wanted, and have always figured out how to get the money for those things...bikes, guitars, clothes, dates with girls, a car, insurance, gasoline, etc..."
bloke

Postby pauvog1 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Tom wrote:I get it...

This! Use a school instrument for now, and then work and save up until you are ready to make a purchase.
Kalison DS
B&S PT-18p (MRP F)

FS: Stofer Geib, Euro shank viewtopic.php?f=4&t=88053
pauvog1
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Fergie » Wed May 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Don't get tempted in buying a cheap clone. I made that mistake going into college because I couldn't afford a decent tuba at the time. If I had waited a year, I could have purchased a good use horn.

Tom's suggestion is probably the best one here:

Tom wrote:My suggestion to you at this stage in your tuba playing career is to channel your excitement for the tuba into playing it rather than buying stuff. Keep working at becoming a better player on your current school-supplied setup. It doesn't cost you anything. Doing so also positions you well to continue playing well into the future and gives you a good skill set to be able to pick out your own tuba someday.
Dvorak probably wrote the the fourteen notes in New World Symphony to get his tuba friends a gig.
Fergie
bugler
bugler

Postby TheGoyWonder » Wed May 16, 2018 10:07 pm

ummmm maybe bag groceries? walk dogs? take burger orders? collect scrap metal? mine cryptocurrency?
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Postby TheTuba » Thu May 17, 2018 7:05 am

TheGoyWonder wrote:ummmm maybe bag groceries? walk dogs? take burger orders? collect scrap metal? mine cryptocurrency?

I definitely would, but my parents don't want me to work until after college.
I'll save up in my highschool years guys. Thanks for the new comments!
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Doc » Thu May 17, 2018 9:53 am

TheTuba wrote:...my parents don't want me to work until after college...

Are you serious?
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Mark Finley » Thu May 17, 2018 10:01 am

A lot of parents consider getting good grades to be their job. We told my son he didn't have to get a job in high school, and that paid off with a full ride scholarship to college.
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby WC8KCY » Thu May 17, 2018 10:25 am

Doc wrote:
TheTuba wrote:...my parents don't want me to work until after college...

Are you serious?

As a management professional involved in the screening of potential employees, I can say this: graduating college with no work experience whatsoever will get your application and resume thrown into the trash nearly 100% of the time.
King 1165 "Artist" baritone - Yamaha YEP-321S euphonium
'29 Holton Monster E-flat tuba - '37 Martin Indiana E-flat sousaphone
WC8KCY
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Thu May 17, 2018 11:43 am

One of my kids was enrolled in one of the "fancy-schmancy" music conservatories.
I suggested that
- the only "work" be to master their craft and to submit applications/recordings for summer festivals (hopefully - yes, that involved remuneration), and - were there any additional time - to ride the bus across town to the "host" university and take additional courses (free of charge) which they did. (They continued on with their high school-begun pursuit of mastery of the Russian language, and became reasonably fluent. They also continued on with high-level mathematics courses. 8) )

I also discouraged "nonsense" (as much as I could manage to do so) by not supplying them with a car, nor with very much spending money.
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Thu May 17, 2018 12:01 pm

That's why I got a job in school.

My parents wouldn't buy me beer!!

:tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby TheTuba » Thu May 17, 2018 8:46 pm

The Indian education system is VERY different than the American one.
Basically if you get high grades there, you're good to go.
However, my parents (mom mostly) do not understand this one completely.
I believe that even without a job, being in band will still help me stand out.(If im good)(no bragging but I think I am......for a 9th grader anyway.Can't hold a candle to you folks.)
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Three Valves » Fri May 18, 2018 7:48 am

TheTuba wrote:The Indian education system is VERY different than the American one.

And that ain't all...

Here, when we say "I'm making marriage arrangements" it's also a completely different thing!!
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Tuba Shorty » Wed May 23, 2018 2:02 pm

For me at least, my parents don't want to have to pay for my college so they're relying on me to get scholarships. Over the past few years I've convinced my parents to get me lessons and to buy an Eastman ebc-632 tuba (We got it for sale for 4,000). I used the card of "well since you don't want to pay for my college, you could help me get scholarships with tuba by helping me pay for lessons." Later I brought the fact up to them that I am going to need a tuba in college since I'll be continuing music, and that the tuba they'll buy me is my ticket into college. It was definitely not a one conversation thing. My parents never bought me a car for my birthday like normal kids, I got a tuba instead.
Tuba Shorty
lurker
lurker

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet