Recent thoughts on the Wessex Berg?

The bulk of the musical talk
NoReisTubaPlaying
bugler
bugler

Recent thoughts on the Wessex Berg?

Post by NoReisTubaPlaying »

Hello Fellow Tubeneters!

I have been doing quite a bit of research on F tubas (and horns in general lately), and Wessex has come up lately! Especially since I am now in the market for an F Tuba of my own (have been borrowing a 45slp from a local player in town).

One horn that keeps catching my eye is the Berg. It seems to have positive reviews, but most of these are 2 years old. I was wondering what people think of the horn now? Especially since MWRTEC just ended, I wonder what people thought of the horn if they tried it there!

Also, if people have owned the horn for a few years, how is it holding up?

Thank you all!

-Noah Reisdorff
Luther College (BM Performance/ Management Minor)
4/4 W. Nirschl CC
Meinl Weston 45SLP F
Tubamax7
bugler
bugler

Re: Recent thoughts on the Wessex Berg?

Post by Tubamax7 »

I bought one New Years Day. It was discounted to $2300 which was a plus, 2 week trial period which is great and a 3 year warranty. This is my first F tuba and I absolutely love it. Everyone I've let try it has loved it. Intonation is great and the lower register is very free blowing, unlike a lot of F's I have tried. The tone is beautiful and I love the gold brass bell. One of the people I've let try it (who will not be named) is a B&S artist, and mid-playing and said "This horn is stupid good for $2500." The only thing I don't like, and this is a very small detail, is that the rotor screws like to loosen as you play. Loctite fixed 3 of the 5 valves, the other 2 being valves 1 and 2 so makes sense they turn out the most. My repair guy said bring it in and he'll throw solder down there to help the screws bite. The slides and rotors come pre-greased and oiled. I have not put anything on my horn and everything still moves perfectly. I like that my slides are nickel plated. They really help the mobility of slides in my opinion. They move a lot better than the slides of my PT20. My PT20 doesn't even have nickel slides and that's probably a $12000 horn brand new. I cannot say enough good things about this horn. BUY IT
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia- HB Chapter
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Wow, that's quite an endorsement. We recently had one sell pretty inexpensively somewhere, here, in the S.F. bay area. I wish I had jumped on it
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

barry grrr-ero wrote:Wow, that's quite an endorsement. We recently had one sell pretty inexpensively somewhere, here, in the S.F. bay area. I wish I had jumped on it
Quite an endorsement indeed. Factory lubrication and slides that move are key features of the Berg. That valve linkage that falls apart while you play, no biggie.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Oh!
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

Ken Crawford wrote:
barry grrr-ero wrote:Wow, that's quite an endorsement. We recently had one sell pretty inexpensively somewhere, here, in the S.F. bay area. I wish I had jumped on it
Quite an endorsement indeed. Factory lubrication and slides that move are key features of the Berg. That valve linkage that falls apart while you play, no biggie.
I have never played a rotor horn where I didn't have to keep an eye on those screws... my techs have always had to take the horn to solve the problem. And some of those were really nice tubas.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype