Upstream Embouchure Problems

The bulk of the musical talk
Reid C
lurker
lurker

Upstream Embouchure Problems

Post by Reid C »

I am a freshman in college dealing with some embouchure issues. My professor and I discovered I play with an upstream embouchure with the mouthpiece relatively low on my face. I'm fairly happy with my tone from F in the staff down, but everything above that sounds strained. I thought it was because I "smiled" in the upper registers, but I have since realized that is a consistent smile between registers. I have tried pivoting while I play higher, not smiling, and blowing faster air but my higher register is still thin and inconsistent leading us to believe this is a mechanical issue.

Has anyone else experienced this themselves or with a student?

I was going to attempt to use a visualizer to start blowing downstream, but any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!
Miraphone 1291 CC
KyleMG
bugler
bugler

Re: Upstream Embouchure Problems

Post by KyleMG »

Since you mentioned that one of the issues is that the mouthpiece is sitting lower on your face, try moving it up more for one. Maybe freebuzzing/doing more just mouthpiece work would be able to help fix it. If it’s a pure embouchure problem, then you’re probably looking at using most of your summer practice time to fix it.
Miraphone 188
Miraphone Firebird
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Don't take me for any kind of expert, but I do play with a similar placement. You may find as I do that it helps to consciously bring your upper lip forward a little more than it naturally might sit, just in the center. Not a shift exactly, maybe it's more of an anti-shift - as my embouchure tightens up, I have to resist a tendency for the upper lip to draw too tight. Probably depends a lot on why we go "upstream" - for me, I imagine it has something to do with snaggle teeth, while for others it might be more about characteristics of the lips.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

Reinhardt style teachers are pretty adept at working with upstreamers - and with figuring out if they really should be upstream or not. From discussions, I understand changing an upstream to downstream rarely if ever works. Doug Elliott is a member here, you really ought to PM him.
Reid C
lurker
lurker

Post by Reid C »

Thank you for all the help so far!

I'll definitely start looking into the techniques mentioned and advice given!
Miraphone 1291 CC
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

timothy42b wrote:Reinhardt style teachers are pretty adept at working with upstreamers - and with figuring out if they really should be upstream or not. From discussions, I understand changing an upstream to downstream rarely if ever works. Doug Elliott is a member here, you really ought to PM him.
Absolutely ditto here, with the exception that changing an upstream to a downstream WILL work IF that is the proper embouchure for the person in question....contact Doug Elliot and get a lesson (skype.) He will be able to tell you what embouchure style works best for your face, and can stop problems from developing before they start. To get a basic background, go find Youtube videos by Wilktone, which will show and discuss quite well the different embouchure types. There is nothing wrong with upstream if it is the right embouchure for you, but if it's not working I would consult an expert rather than do the "try this try that" system, which can take forever and lead down paths to disaster.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Which reminds me of another point I neglected out of the "try this try that" repertoire: it may be a problem to play upstream with much pressure. This and my previous point are working with that smaller amount of upper lip still playing a significant role in generating the tone - while it's closer to the rim, so pressure needs to be pretty light.
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

I would need to see what you're doing to provide any valid advice. You can find me if you look.