Scratchy, fuzzy sounds

The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Scratchy, fuzzy sounds

Post by TheTuba »

So when I play Bb (it happens on this note the most often) I get a scratchy, strained sound. (BBb tuba) I try opening my mouth, throat, using more air, less air, the works. However, it just sounds bad and fuzzy. The note is in tune, but it does not have a good sound. The next day, I play perfect on that note and it resonates! It has been happening a lot recently, and it's getting kind of annoying. My other notes resonate and are in tune, but the (in staff) Bb and C just have weird sounds.

Any tips?
Thanks,
-Raghul :tuba:
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Scratchy, fuzzy sounds

Post by TheTuba »

My spit valve does have some problems. It seems off-center, and I have to push down on it after opening it to lock it in, or else air will get through.
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

Try plugging up the spit valve with some electrical tape or just seal the hole with your finger and see if the sound keeps happening. If not, you know you have a spit valve issue
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Echoing what Bloke said, I like the Brass gym beautiful sounds exercise. Read what the guys say and carefully do it. In effect, you are learning to play the tuba one note at a time, giving each note what it needs to resonate and sound it’s best. Over years...
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Post by WagnerRing »

Last edited by WagnerRing on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

WagnerRing wrote:Rather than constantly seeking advice from an internet forum, I suggest you find a local tuba instructor, practice diligently under their guidance, and devote your energies to building excellent musical, technical and ensemble skills. A skilled teacher will guide your long-term practice, identify and correct your problems, and help create an appropriate course of study for you to develop as a musician. Good luck.
Perhaps.

Or it could be that the spit valve is not quite sealing.

So why not ask??

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

A nice temporary fix for a possibly leaking spit valve is to use a small piece from a styrofoam coffee cup. Press that in there and it should seal very well. I know a prominent tuba player, on this board, who inserted a styrofoam coffee cup piece between the cork and the nipple, even with the spit valve properly installed and thought that it made a better seal than the actual cork installed on the instrument. I was there when he was experimenting with this. It was difficult to tell if the sound was ever slightly more clear with the styrofoam piece in there, but the player thought that there was a difference.

I'm not saying this is your problem. Like others have said here, you can't properly diagnose these things on the internet. Just saying if your spit valve might be the culprit, try the coffee cup fix.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Have the instrument checked by a technician to be sure whether the issue is with it or with you.

If the instrument checks out OK, then you know the problem is with you. In order to play with our best sound, the length of the tube has to be set to the correct length to resonate the pitch being put into the mouthpiece. If we have to lip the pitch up or down (consciously or unconsciously) in order to play the note in tune, we lose resonance and tone quality. Therefore, you must make sure all the tuning slides are in the optimal locations AND you are buzzing the note on the center of the pitch.

This is an area where daily mouthpiece practice is extremely beneficial.
Andy