5 + 1 F Tubas?

The bulk of the musical talk
romanmacie
lurker
lurker

5 + 1 F Tubas?

Post by romanmacie »

Hello all, I am shopping around for F Tubas. I would like to purchase one before I start at Northwestern in September. I like the idea of a Firebird because it is offered with a 5 + 1 valve setup. I believe this is theoretically the best setup because a player is more free to pull slides than a 4 + 2 but still has access to a 6th valve. I was curious if anyone knows of any other tubas with this setup, and if they are worth considering. (If I can't get my hands on a 5 + 1, I will probably go with just 5 valves all on the right hand.)

Edit: I will certainly be talking with my teachers. This post was not meant to replace their recommendations. I was just curious of the opinions of others and find out about other 5 +1 F tubas.
Last edited by romanmacie on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
B&S Mr. P CC
Rudolf Meinl F custom for Rex Martin
Northwestern University '22
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Re: 5 + 1 F Tubas?

Post by Alex C »

If you are an undergrad entering NU in the Fall, it would be a good idea to contact Gene Porkorny or Matthew Gaunt and ask for their opinion on F tubas instead of asking Tubenet. Both must have opinions on which instruments they like.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

Just my own opinion. I'm sure there are others more well versed.

I've been chasing F tubas down for the last couple of years-for reasons both musical and orthopedic. At least half or even 2/3 of my time is spent on the F tuba vs my CC. Recently, I took delivery of a 5+1 gold brass Miraphone Elektra, and have since completed the purchase. For me, pitch and "steering" were the most important attributes that I was looking for. Without hesitation, I can say that this is the most in tune F tuba that I have ever personally played, and it handles pretty evenly in all three registers.

I prefer the 5+1 over the 4+2 just because I've gotten so used to throwing my right thumb down, but that's just personal preference. I might simply prefer the 5+1 because I haven't really figured out where to use the 6th with much frequency. I tried the 4+2, and just couldn't get it under my fingers. However, I do get what Joe is talking about with the thumb trigger for tuning.

I think there are several manufactures that make a 4+2 F, if that indeed is what you end up looking for.

Talk to your teachers, and good luck with it.
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

I learned to play F tuba on an instrument with a left hand fifth. An older horn with such a set up might be a good deal for you as well.
MORE AIR
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

Kind of a shame that piston F’s dont come with 6valves
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

Actually...

Yesterday I went to Klingspor's shop were he hand two PF125's he made (with the Gronitz tooling).

Everything not played with 5th valve was awesomely in-tune, all the way up into the higher treble clef country.
5th p. A was only a hair low and mindlessly playable open. Idem Ab, G & F# (2, 1, 1-2).
Everything from 2nd p. B down to F# had all the typical obstacles of only having a 5th valve. (note; to my knowledge this has nothing to do with the quality of the 5th valve and it's tubing, which blew as well as the rest of the tuba).

On the other hand, everything in the 1st and 2nd p. sounded really nice and easy. And fat. (yeah, I'm one of those tuba players who doen't really doesn't care about what a typical F tuba sound "should" be, as long as it sounds good). Basically I just had a fun time playing this tuba.

I was impressed enough that I might have bought one if there was an immediate solution for the 2nd p. tuning challenges.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

I’ve tried the Electra and the Belcanto. The Firebird is, in my opinion, a better tuba.
Don’t neglect looking at what MW has to offer. The companies changed (mostly for the worse but still) and they have a very wide selection of F tubas. What works for you may not be what works for another.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

bloke wrote:Here is a Miraphone 481 tuba with (seemingly...though what appears to be the #1 rotor tubing is confusing to me in the picture) the 4+2 config, but with #'s 5 and 6 reversed from the classic order.

Again, with most brass and woodwind keyed/valved instruments, the configuration (yes, including recorders, flutes, oboes, clarinets, and saxophones) is:
middle finger depressed - lowers a half step
index finger depressed - lowers a whole step
both fingers depressed - lowers a minor third

The appearance of this instrument is aesthetically pleasing...
It also appears to me that one of these could easily be built with the 5 and 6 lengths reversed (with a horizontally-oriented #6 slide).

The same buttons on that tuba work the same valves as your tuba. The 5th (long whole step) is below the fourth. The sixth (flat half step) is above the first. There is linkage on the back which does all that cuteness.

There are better pics at the hornguys website here:
https://www.hornguys.com/products/mirap ... a-f-tuba-1" target="_blank
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

bloke wrote:
EXCELLENT.
That makes IMMEDIATE sense.
Thank-you.
No problem. We should specifically thank hornguys.com for taking such super pictures. ;)

pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

and to answer my own question, I forgot about the MW Titan (Mel Culbertson)=a 45 w/6 valves.
http://www.melton-meinl-weston.com/en/i ... slp-titan/" target="_blank
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Why do we see a difference in the 4+2 F tubas in which valve (5 or 6) is on top or operated by the left index finger?
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

I don’t think I understand your question