Wessex Wooden Tuba Mute

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubamax7
bugler
bugler

Wessex Wooden Tuba Mute

Post by Tubamax7 »

I'm interested in a mute for practice purposes. I live in an apartment complex and don't want to disturb my neighbors(have one really angry one who yelled at me for moving my tubas, not even playing). Who has used this mute? Is it good for that purpose? Is it a much cheaper alternative to silent brass? I see it fits up to 5/4 CC's so I plan on using it in my B&S PT20 and my Wessex Berg.
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia- HB Chapter
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Wessex Wooden Tuba Mute

Post by opus37 »

I have one of the practice mutes for my Bubbie 5. It works very well. Like most practice mutes, it does increase the back pressure.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Mark Moore
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Mark Moore »

Are you talking about a regular sized tuba mute, small practice tuba mute or regular tuba practice mute. On the Wessex page, they have a practice mute for the small tuba and a wooden regular sized mute, but it is not a practice mute and I suspect it would not be very quiet. I have the Trumcor, Standard Stealth practice mute. It is very quiet, have not tried the Deluxe Stealth, so I don't know if it is worth the extra money. I started with the Humes & Berg practice mute decades ago. It was so stuffy, I stopped using it after a few weeks. The Trumcor was much easier to play.
Mark Moore
University of Illinois
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

It's the one they sell for the Bubbie 5. It also fits my BR140 Baritone. I would suspect it is the small tuba practice mute or one for a trombone because the bells size is about the same as a trombone.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

The wessex wooden tuba mute is a straight, and is not doing anything good as practice mute. And it did not play in-tune out-of the box on my former Danube Eb tuba, I had to insert a piece of spill water tubing about 10 cm long and 5 cm in diameter into the hole to make the partials align. This is an easy and cheap fix, though.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs