Need an ID on this Conn BBb

The bulk of the musical talk
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Need an ID on this Conn BBb

Post by chronolith »

I have a friend who is looking to sell this instrument and we are trying to gather some details. Can anyone tell me the model number?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Need an ID on this Conn BBb

Post by chronolith »

Good call. I am requesting that info.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Need the serial number and dimensions to say anything for sure. But those valves and bracings look identical to my 1921 Conn sousaphone. Looks like a 4/4 size to me. Nice horn!
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

Details provided:

- Serial # 309046
- 18" bell diameter
- Overall length is approx 32 1/2"
- 1st valve slide I.D. is approx 11/16" (probably slightly less)
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

If the various resources are to be believed, it looks like the horn dates to 1936.
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Frank Ortega »

Looks like either a 32J Monster or a 47J New Wonder.

At least according to the Conn Loyalist.

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnBassModels.html" target="_blank

Looks great! What kind of price are they asking?
Frank Ortega
Band Director
Saddle Brook MS/HS
The Bloomfield Civic Band
Music Director/Conductor
Bon Temps Brass
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

I saw that list. I went through and started eliminating things from the list (recording bells, Eb, etc) and came to the conclusion that this horn is not on the list since the serial number and production dates don't match up. That extra loop up by the top bow is throwing me off too. I saw a number of pictures of Conn horns that have a similar feature but they all seemed to have the looped leadpipe as well.

I still don't know what it is, so I must admit that I probably have a bad assumption in there somewhere. I hope to get a closer look at the horn soon and get more info.

As to price? No idea. That's part of the reason we were trying to get a positive ID on it.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

chronolith wrote:I saw that list. I went through and started eliminating things from the list (recording bells, Eb, etc) and came to the conclusion that this horn is not on the list since the serial number and production dates don't match up.
Right - production dates might not be reliable, but the 32J etc. are big BATs - the old Monster is .734 bore and 22 inch bell, according to horn-u-copia, and the later 32J/36J is of course a 2 piece bell front BAT.
That extra loop up by the top bow is throwing me off too. I saw a number of pictures of Conn horns that have a similar feature but they all seemed to have the looped leadpipe as well.
If you have a close match otherwise, in '36 I believe you could see tuning after the valves, in the same model that had tuning before the valves in the '20s, so you could allow some latitude there (the looped leadpipe.)
Conn 2J CC
bugler
bugler

Post by Conn 2J CC »

Your horn does look very much like my Conn 32J BBb from 1928 (search for "A 1928 Conn 32J lives on (thanks, Lee Stofer)" in this forum). However, mine has a 22" bell, .730" bore, and loop differences you'll see. I hope you enjoy your horn - I do like mine.
Dave
Low Brass musician and Bass Guitarist
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

I have to agree it does resemble the core of the 32J. The fact that it has a smaller bell would account for the leadpipe differences I suppose. Trying to get the horn checked out this weekend.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

The difference, between the otherwise apparently similar valves - which they used for years, also with the 36J - is the diameter you report. 11/16 is a common size (though I don't know if Conn did much of it?) The pictures we have of known tubas with similar looking valve set, like that 32J, are significantly larger (like .730) - but that's not even 1/16 inch difference.