Dillon Roylance mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
jma78
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jma78 »

Hello,

Does anybody here have first hand experience with the new Dillond Roylance mouthpiece? It would be helpful to get some comments on it, especially in comparison with the Laskey 30H or/and Conn Helleberg 120S.

I'll probably anyway order this mouthpiece to try, but was interested to first hear some comments from people who already have tried it.

Thanks!
E. Green
bugler
bugler

Post by E. Green »

Tried this.... it uses too much air.

Eugene
tubazach07

Re: Dillon Roylance mouthpiece

Post by tubazach07 »

I saw this post and wanted to offer a reply about the Dillon Roylance. Before I played the Roylance I played on a Laskey 30H for year and some change. I heard about the Roylance and wanted to give it a try. It’s a great mouthpiece and I am glad I bought it a couple months ago. The low register response is great on this mouthpiece. Matt Walters of Dillon Music asked me to give my opinion of the Roylance after I tried it. Here is what I wrote.

After playing the Roylance I can say I really like the mouthpiece. It is what the Laskey 30H should be. The articulations are clearer, it slots easier, it is easier to move around the whole range of the tuba thanks to the rim design.
The Roylance still sounds like the 30H so if someone likes the sound they get on their 30H but want a thinner rim and cleaner articulations this mouthpiece is perfect for them. The rim is what struck me at first. It is different but still very comfortable.

The mouthpiece will feel bigger than it is especially compared to a 30H but after a couple minutes of playing the user will find the rim allows the player to move around the whole range of the tuba with ease. I found I didn’t have to pivot as much to center notes on both high and low extremes of the tuba. Due to the Roylance having identical cup dimensions as the 30H I found there wasn’t a long learning curve switching from the 30H to the Roylance. Great job on producing a great mouthpiece!
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Here is Chris Olka's video review of the two new Dillon mouthpieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDr26_fOlY" target="_blank
Andy
cfaytuba
lurker
lurker

Post by cfaytuba »

tubazach07 wrote:I saw this post and wanted to offer a reply about the Dillon Roylance. Before I played the Roylance I played on a Laskey 30H for year and some change. I heard about the Roylance and wanted to give it a try. It’s a great mouthpiece and I am glad I bought it a couple months ago. The low register response is great on this mouthpiece. Matt Walters of Dillon Music asked me to give my opinion of the Roylance after I tried it. Here is what I wrote.

After playing the Roylance I can say I really like the mouthpiece. It is what the Laskey 30H should be. The articulations are clearer, it slots easier, it is easier to move around the whole range of the tuba thanks to the rim design.
The Roylance still sounds like the 30H so if someone likes the sound they get on their 30H but want a thinner rim and cleaner articulations this mouthpiece is perfect for them. The rim is what struck me at first. It is different but still very comfortable.

The mouthpiece will feel bigger than it is especially compared to a 30H but after a couple minutes of playing the user will find the rim allows the player to move around the whole range of the tuba with ease. I found I didn’t have to pivot as much to center notes on both high and low extremes of the tuba. Due to the Roylance having identical cup dimensions as the 30H I found there wasn’t a long learning curve switching from the 30H to the Roylance. Great job on producing a great mouthpiece!
This is pretty spot on. I've used a Dillon Roylance as my daily driver for over a year now. I do find the Roylance is a little brighter than the Laskey 30H because of the sharper rim bite and thinner rim. Its also a little bit less comfortable on the face, but the improved clarity and response is well worth it.