What's a good new inexpensive euphonium? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

What's a good new inexpensive euphonium?

Postby wooliteeuph » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:59 am

I've been out of touch with the newer euphs that have come out over the past decade or so. Now that my military career as a euphonium player may be coming to an end, I would be in the market for a horn of my own to finish up school with. Does anyone have any recommendations or reviews out there for the new euphs in circulation? Spending over 8-9 thousand for a horn is out of the question for me at the moment so anyone suggestions would be appreciated
Willie Brandon III
Euphonium/Trombone
NAVY BAND SOUTHWEST, San Diego

"I have an idea. An idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about" - Family Guy
wooliteeuph
pro musician
pro musician

Re: What's a good new inexpensive euphonium?

Postby bisontuba » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:25 am

Hi-
MACK Brass 1150 Silver Compensating Euphonium...$995 plus shipping....
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby marccromme » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:48 am

... or Wessex Dolce cantabile ... mine is an older version I bought used, it plays well, and pretty much in tune except for 4+2 which is a tad low on mine. Check Werdens tuning charts if you want to see his results which match my findings. There are better euphs in this world, but the Dolce is pretty much unbeaten (maybe except Mack Brass, I don't know these) in quality-price ratio.

Alternatively a good used instrument, of course. I have seen Besson Sovereign 3+1 used for around 3000,- to 3500,- $, but Denmark is always more expensive than US.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
marccromme
bugler
bugler

Postby UncleBeer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:22 am

I like my Wessex Dolce.
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Mark Finley » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:55 am

Wessex and mack brass are nice instruments, but for just a little bit more money you can get the packer 274, which I think is amazing.
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby pauvog1 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:43 am

You might want to look into the John Packer euphoniums. I've heard a lot of positive feedback about them.
Kalison DS
B&S PT-18p (MRP F)
pauvog1
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:03 am

Yamaha style: Mack Brass from Tom
Besson style: John Packer (JP274) from me, or someone else
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby wooliteeuph » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:06 am

I appreciate the feedback. Of those mentioned, what would be some of the negatives as compared to the more popular, expensive horns? Bigger intonation issues, back pressure, valve motion, etc.
Willie Brandon III
Euphonium/Trombone
NAVY BAND SOUTHWEST, San Diego

"I have an idea. An idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about" - Family Guy
wooliteeuph
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:11 am

wooliteeuph wrote:I appreciate the feedback. Of those mentioned, what would be some of the negatives as compared to the more popular, expensive horns? Bigger intonation issues, back pressure, valve motion, etc.

none of those, really...

Both in the c. $1XXX range, the Yamaha copy sports all the Yamaha quirks, and the Besson copy sports all the Besson quirks. :|
Both (just as with Yamaha and Besson) can feature frozen slides and sticky valves if not cared for, and both (just as with Yamaha and Besson) will dent if you drop them on the floor.
Possibly (??) the case for the John Packer is a bit better quality, and (having repaired both) the JP is a bit thicker brass (which I do not represent as a positive, but rather as a "just is". Thicker is neither better nor worse, in my view, unless the plan is to allow an instrument to be filled up with filth and lime, and to drop it on the floor).
If (??) you want to bump your budget up to c. $3XXX, John Packer offers a China-soldered-together version of the STERLING euphonium, which is available with-or-without a main slide trigger...and the case is very snazzy..reminiscent of Marcus Bonna.

John Packer "Sterling" JP374 pictured with silver plating and WITHOUT optional main slide trigger:

snazzy reminiscent-of-Marcus-Bonna-style case (included with JP "Sterling" euphonium:

Last edited by bloke on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke

Postby Sousaswag » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:49 am

Pm sent.
VMI 3302 BBb
Besson 'New Standard' 968 euphonium
Sousaswag
bugler
bugler

Postby Mark Finley » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:02 pm

I have the packer 274s, and I have a few students that own the mack and Wessex horns. I agree that the packer metal seems to be a bit thicker, and the horn feel more solid. I also like the tone a bit better. It's a little sweeter, more song like, just like an older Besson. The intonation is better than most Bessons, I don't have to use any alternative fingerings, even in high F
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby dwerden » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:11 pm

I just posted about a Besson New Standard that might be a very good choice for you. You can buy it outright for $1,400, which is a very nice price (this is not my instrument):

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthread.php/22268-FS-Besson-New-Standard-Lacquer-4-Valve-Compensating
Dave Werden (ASCAP)
www.dwerden.com
Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
YouTube, Twitter, Facebook
dwerden
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Eflatdoubler » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:28 pm

I just picked up a JP 274 that I am really happy with. Great horn and great price!
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Postby nworbekim » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:10 am

i have only played the King 2280 and the Wessex Festivo... i really like them both.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Postby Levaix » Thu May 03, 2018 1:44 pm

I recently picked up the John Packer Sterling BARITONE from bloke and it's a very nice horn (and I still need to write a decent post about it...). I imagine the euphonium equivalent is at the very least decent.

The Yamaha YEP-321 is always an old favorite, and you can find them used for ~$1000 on a regular basis. Ymmv on the 4th valve configuration but sound and playability are great.

New horn prices are crazy lately. A euphonium you could buy for $5000 10 years ago costs $8-9000 now.
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Thu May 03, 2018 1:55 pm

Levaix wrote:I recently picked up the John Packer Sterling BARITONE from bloke and it's a very nice horn (and I still need to write a decent post about it...). I imagine the euphonium equivalent is at the very least decent...

I'm glad that you like the 3-comp. JP Sterling series baritone.
I had to play it for about ten minutes until I began to "figure it out".
The English-style baritones (whether bad/cheapo, mediocre, or very good) seem have a larger learning curve (for tuba players) than do euphoniums.
I could immediately tell that it is superior to the Jb, but it took me (again) about ten minutes to find "the center", and to understand that the tuning of the JP Sterling is indeed "very good".

info :arrow: https://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/prod/john-packer-jp373-sterling-baritone-horn

These (whether cheapo or - as with yours - nicer) aren't particularly big sellers in the USA, but - (brass band usage aside) as often as the various Ewald brass quintets are performed, seem to me to be ideal for them...
trombone/Ewald - approximately the right type of sound, but valves would help a lot
euphonium/Ewald - a bit too rich, with a tendency to overpower the other four voices
bloke

Postby Douglas » Thu May 03, 2018 5:45 pm

bloke wrote:Yamaha style: Mack Brass from Tom
Besson style: John Packer (JP274) from me, or someone else

The JP is better than it should be for the price. I have the one with the tuning trigger for the little doubling I do. It's a solid instrument.
Doug Black, D.M.A.
B&S Tuba Artist/Clinician
Tuba/Euphonium Faculty, Winthrop U, UNC Charlotte, U of SC
Principal Tuba, Rock Hill Symphony Orchestra
Acting Principal Tuba, Fayetteville Symphony Orchestra
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Return to TubeNet