Valve weight problem

The bulk of the musical talk
tubatom124
lurker
lurker

Valve weight problem

Post by tubatom124 »

So I’m playing on a B&S 4197, the successor to the PT-20P, but the same horn really, and I’ve been having a serious issue with my third valve being incredibly heavy to push. It still seems to move smoothly but when I operate it with my ring finger it quickly becomes tiring, and after a long rehearsal can be painful. I was looking to see if anyone’s ever had and solved this problem because I love my tuba but this valve is just a real killer after a long session.
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Re: Valve weight problem

Post by Patrase »

Hi

Having had no practical experience with this I can only relate what has been written by others on here:

Assuming no mechanical issues (dirty valves, damaged valve guides, valves worn so they need to be pressed in a certain manner/direction), then order of action I suggest the following:

- try a lighter valve spring off a euphonium or even a baritone, perhaps Yamaha ones
- get Bloke's lightweight valve buttons (reduced mass + lighter spring from above)
- Get MAW valves (reduced mass even further)
- Martin Wilk might be able to make you a light weight valve stem

Instead of the above you could try a valve button extension to move the valve 'button' into a more ergonomic position.

You can also get finger exercise machines to strengthen your finger(s)
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo