Eastman 853

The bulk of the musical talk
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Eastman 853

Post by bigboymusic »

Any sightings or news?? Highly curious...
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
Kayla
bugler
bugler

Re: Eastman 853

Post by Kayla »

I'm trying one next week. They are available but in short supply, so might take a while for a retailer to get one.
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Post by bigboymusic »

Awesome. Post a review!!!
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
mtgeorge02
lurker
lurker

Post by mtgeorge02 »

That's the compensating front action Eb? I tried it at MWRTEC. (Disclaimer: I am euphonium player with BBb tuba experience looking for a first Eb) I though it was a very nice horn. I compared it to the Wessex Gnagey Eb, and various 3+1 compensating offerings. It was a much more free-blowing horn compared to any 3+1 compensator in the low register, but the Gnagey still had the best low register. In general, I thought it had fine pitch, although some friends who tried thought it wasn't as perfect. Ultimately, I felt more comfortable playing, and was more happy with the sound of the Wessex Gnagey. That being said, the difference was pretty small.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

The 853 is one of the instruments featured in this clever video performed by Scott Sutherland, an excellent southern California tubist obviously influenced by movieland.

https://youtu.be/PbigZED8syI" target="_blank

Ace
J.Harris
bugler
bugler

Post by J.Harris »

I have one on order with Dillon's. It's due to arrive mid to late May. Getting one in raw brass. I'll report in when I have received and have a chance to get acclimated to it.
Jason C. Harris
Jay
lurker
lurker

Post by Jay »

Sorry to dig up an old thread but several people have recommended this model to me. I have a Miraphone comp e flat that I really enjoy but I’ve toyed with the idea of getting a front action horn. Would anyone who has a 853 be willing to comment on their opinions on it now that has been out a while? If there are any recordings of one in a pro level quintet that y’all would recommend I’d appreciate it. Lastly, if anyone near Columbus/ Fort Benning GA has one that they wouldn’t mind me checking out I’ll buy you a couple beers.
Thanks. -Jay Parke
Kunzer
bugler
bugler

Post by Kunzer »

Jay-

I helped do the design work on it, and have one of the first three that were built. We did one in 15”, 16”, and 17” bells and I took the 15”. If you want to come down to Auburn, your more than welcome to play it.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

For a better view of the horn (actually about the only full view I've been able to find) try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB0maEIbAtk starting about 1:48. I want one and will probably buy one when they become more easily available.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
jarrod.williams
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jarrod.williams »

Hi Jay--

I helped with the 16" bell version. If you're near Greenville, NC, you're more than welcome to come play mine.
Dr. Jarrod Williams
East Carolina University
jwtuba.com