4 valve sousaphone? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

4 valve sousaphone?

Postby besson900 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Hello guys!

I'm looking for sousaphone for me And my jazz band but I have no idea what company or model I worth to seeking. I had before fiber 3 valve Jupiter but it wasn't good instrument.

I want to buy full brass instrument, can be used or need repair. Can you write here what company produced or producing good ones? King, Conn or maybe old Holton?

My budget is less than 7000$

All best
Paweł
besson900
bugler
bugler

Re: 4 valve sousaphone?

Postby bloke » Thu May 03, 2018 2:04 pm

If you can find a distressed (not particularly beat-up, but many failed braces) Brazil-made Weril 4-valve (mostly sold in the USA as "Dynasty") those actually sound pretty darn good.
strengths:
- The BODY metal is actually pretty thick on those instruments.
- They are the size of a Conn 20K, and (when working property) I think I actually prefer they way the Weril sounds. :shock:

weaknesses:
- bracing is not strong
- nickel plating on pistons (most of the older ones that you will find) is marginally applied, at best.

If you find one cheap enough (perhaps - and this is not atypical) with the body in pretty good shape, but the valve section falling off of it, either ask Weril to send you some new-generation stainless steel pistons for it, or send the existing pistons off to Anderson to be "trued and nickel plated back to the originally indicated dimensions")...and have your repair guy re-brace the entire instrument with some sturdy (like "King") braces. Some of the braces (narrow, which support a problematically-designed 4th valve slide zig-zag) will probably have to be custom-brazed by your repair guy. Once your repair guy re-braces that area, though, it should no longer be problematic.

It seems to me, that would be "under $7000" pretty easily, assuming you find a distressed instrument priced as a distressed instrument should be priced.

Again, (though I believe these might actually offer a clearer sound than a Conn 20K) you have to be a 6/4-size sousaphone "fan" to like these instruments. Personally, I prefer smaller sousaphones (such as the discontinued Conn 14K, the defunct Olds/Reynolds, the H.N. White-era King, and the John Packer King copy), but none of these are 4-valve.

I'm pretty sure that this is a picture of a Weril-made (aka "Dynasty") 4-valve sousaphone. BTW...I would have the tech replace - not only the valveset braces, but - the body and elbow braces as well. The bracing, in general, is delicate and light gauge. The rods on the 3-part brace assemblies are actually tubing, rather than solid rods.
All of that having been said...If you find a NEVER-SOLD OLD/NEW-STOCK Dynasty somewhere for a great price (being a careful adult player, I would assume) just play it, keep it oiled, and don't have anything done to it.

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby lowtones425 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:10 pm

Here's a really good one for much less than your proposed budget. I can vouch for the seller, as he is a friend of mine.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=85397" target="_blank

If I had the scratch I'd buy this one myself.

:tuba: :tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
Eastman 6/4 CC - Laskey 30H
Rudy Meinl 4/4 F - Breslmair F3
Conn 26K Monster Eb Sousaphone
(Username formerly mcvfifer)
lowtones425
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Thu May 03, 2018 5:16 pm

perfect !
bloke

Postby Donn » Thu May 03, 2018 5:43 pm

I have a 40K. Great instrument - maybe the best, though of course it's a matter of taste too.

I guess if I had it to do over, I would have had my old Reynolds fixed up instead. A 4 valve BBb sousaphone is ridiculous. What most people want in a sousaphone is 1) light, and 2) punchy.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Postby UncleBeer » Thu May 03, 2018 5:43 pm

UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Thu May 03, 2018 6:13 pm

There's another great choice...and I see some replaced braces in the picture as well.
bloke

Postby TUbajohn20J » Fri May 04, 2018 12:17 pm

I love my 40K!

Conn 10J
Conn 26J
Conn 40K
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Kirley » Fri May 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Where are you located?

I have a Conn 40K available for sale but I'm guessing you're not on the West Coast of the US.
Kirley
bugler
bugler

Postby besson900 » Fri May 04, 2018 1:18 pm

Hello again guys!

Thank You for all your advices and posts! :tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
I'm living in Poland(Europe) so i will have to buy instrument with shipping :(

I will thunk about your horns for sale an let You all know what i decide :)
I want to have horn with bigger bell(dont remember inch's), also i have an old Amati helicon but it's not what i want. I wrote that i want 4 valve cause its impossible to play lower than Fb on Bb tuba without 4th valve. I know that bigger=heavy but im one of those "big guy" with 194cm tall so it's not a problem that it will weight few kg more.

I have one more question out of this topic - What sousaphone are playing Nat Mcintosh with this HUGHE brass band on YouTube and Brooklyn as solo piece, and the same question about man from Lucky Chops and his satin silver instrument :)

Thank's for all you answers
besson900
bugler
bugler

Postby Sousaswag » Fri May 04, 2018 2:16 pm

I believe Nat plays an Olds. 3 valves.

The Lucky Chops horn looks to me like a Conn 20k
VMI 3302 BBb
Besson 'New Standard' 968 euphonium
Sousaswag
bugler
bugler

Postby toobagrowl » Fri May 04, 2018 5:01 pm

besson900 wrote: I wrote that i want 4 valve cause its impossible to play lower than Fb on Bb tuba without 4th valve.

Most BBb sousas have excellent false/ghost tones below low EE; so you don't really need a 4th valve on a BBb sousa. You actually have to be more concerned about the 123 combo low B-natural and EE-natural as those notes will be quite sharp if no slides are pulled or put in 'compromise' positions.
But if you must have a 4-valve BBb sousa; Uncle Beer's Dynasty sousa is about the best deal your gonna get for a decent 4-valver :!:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby David Richoux » Sat May 05, 2018 12:49 am

Old Conn and Buescher 4 valve sousaphones are very desirable - I have been playing a somewhat beat up 1929 Conn for decades. I am not doing symphonic stuff - just Dixie and NOLA Hot Brass, so (except for the added weight) it is a great horn. Faster fingering and lower tones are the advantages.
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves

Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Postby MrBasseyPants » Sat May 05, 2018 11:19 am

lowtones425 wrote:Here's a really good one for much less than your proposed budget. I can vouch for the seller, as he is a friend of mine.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=85397" target="_blank" target="_blank

If I had the scratch I'd buy this one myself.

:tuba: :tuba: :tuba: :tuba:

I owner this horn and sold it to Him....it is a great horn and comes with a nice SKB case....it has a small bell....but it definitely looks the part for a jazz group. This IS the horn you want. Everything else is a compromise....unless you want the even bigger King or Conn 4 valves (you don’t).

You could take the money saved and have Anderson replace the valves for about $600 or so....and the horn would mechanically be good as new....but the horn probably doesn’t even need that.

I really liked this horn and it’s low registe, but I sold it when I got my King Giant 3-valves because I like the King sound better....but the 40K was easily just as good.

jc
MrBasseyPants - jc
My three Kings: 2007 King 2341 | 1935 King Giant 1271 | 1925 King 1265 Jumbo (now with four valves)

WARNING: This tuba player has been known to get his groove on via bass guitar as well!
MrBasseyPants
bugler
bugler

Postby MrBasseyPants » Sat May 05, 2018 11:21 am

Even with great shipping to Poland....you should be well under your budget.

jc
MrBasseyPants - jc
My three Kings: 2007 King 2341 | 1935 King Giant 1271 | 1925 King 1265 Jumbo (now with four valves)

WARNING: This tuba player has been known to get his groove on via bass guitar as well!
MrBasseyPants
bugler
bugler

Return to TubeNet