IUP Horn Day

The bulk of the musical talk
paulver

IUP Horn Day

Post by paulver »

Yesterday, Indiana University of Pennsylvania held a "Horn Day" for area french horn players. We took our daughter there, as she was one of the participants.

One of the events was a short recital by a horn, trombone, and tuba trio. They were fantastic!!! I was especially impressed by their tuba player.... Dr. Zack Collins. He was playing a Miraphone Elektra. Dr. Collins was a student of Jim Self at USC. This guy is an absolute monster on tuba! He was all over it!! Phenomenal tone, technique, and interpretation. Crystal clear tonguing.

We met up with a very good friend of mine there, who went to IUP with Dr. Self, and has kept in close touch with him over the years, so he sauntered right up to Dr. Collins and began conversing with him like they were buddies, then he introduced my wife and I to him. Dr. Collins sat with us for the remainder of the presentations, and was just the nicest person you'd ever want to meet. Very friendly, conversational, and we briefly discussed his very apparent pleasure at playing this instrument.

If you ever get the opportunity to hear this guy, (Dr. Collins) play............ do yourself a big favor........ do it!!!

Enough said!!