New developments and the BBb vs CC debate (help needed)

The bulk of the musical talk
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Re: New developments and the BBb vs CC debate (help needed)

Post by marccromme »

I am a bit confused: option one is playing Bb + Cc, option 2 is playing Bb + Eb - why would the Eb version be easier for you to finger than the Cc version ? The only thing you need to practice with the Cc version is a transposition of one tone. That is easily done.

Whenever you practice any tune, you just play it thereafter one step up. Or down. Every day, just for 5 min. After a month you'll do it without thinking. Don't think over it, just start with easy tunes and do it. Your brain figures out the math by itself. Easy with a bit of persistence.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: New developments and the BBb vs CC debate (help needed)

Post by Donn »

I think people's minds do not all work the same (brilliant theory here, take note!) For me, the difference between one (whole) step up and one fourth up is, the first is a little easier to mess up. I don't do arithmetic while I'm playing, anything like that will jam up the works. I can read and hear intervals, at least a little, and two distinctly different possibilities makes the easiest choice.

But I'm not here to advise anyone to mess around with more keys of tuba than they want. Anyone who would do that because of advice on Tubenet doesn't deserve to have paying gigs.