5th valve configuration Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

5th valve configuration

Postby geomiklas » Fri May 11, 2018 1:37 am

I used to play Miraphone CC horns with the 5th valve that was Major 3rd configured (2+3). Currently I'm playing a horn where the 5th valve is flat wholestep configured.

I want to get back into a Miraphone CC, but need some counseling on the advantages of either fifth valve configuration.

Help.
George's Website
SCHILLER AMERICAN HERITAGE 5U CC (MiraClone 186) & Ion Balu Wood Mute
MA Music Ed - Performance, Liberty U.(2019)
MEd Special Ed Slippery Rock U.(2006)
BM Music Ed - Tuba w/John Turk @ Dana School of Music / Youngstown St U (1991)
geomiklas
bugler
bugler

Re: 5th valve configuration

Postby bort » Fri May 11, 2018 3:08 am

I like the longer Miraphone 5th valve... because that's what I learned to use when I started on CC (on a B&S PT3).

Biggest advantage, I find 235 F convenient, as well as 12345 for a soft pedal CC.

Beyond that... the biggest advantage is that I already know the long 5th system.
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Sam Gnagey » Tue May 15, 2018 7:58 am

I've conceptualized about an ascending 5th valve on a CC tuba putting it in DD. That would make pedal D and C# nice open notes. My idea would start with a large E-flat bugle. See if you can get your little minds around how that might work. :o
Sam Gnagey
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby geomiklas » Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 am

Sam Gnagey wrote:I've conceptualized about an ascending 5th valve on a CC tuba putting it in DD. That would make pedal D and C# nice open notes. My idea would start with a large E-flat bugle. See if you can get your little minds around how that might work. :o

Hmmm... lets see now.... my mind is not seeing it...
George's Website
SCHILLER AMERICAN HERITAGE 5U CC (MiraClone 186) & Ion Balu Wood Mute
MA Music Ed - Performance, Liberty U.(2019)
MEd Special Ed Slippery Rock U.(2006)
BM Music Ed - Tuba w/John Turk @ Dana School of Music / Youngstown St U (1991)
geomiklas
bugler
bugler

Postby marccromme » Tue May 15, 2018 5:17 pm

Sam Gnagey wrote:I've conceptualized about an ascending 5th valve on a CC tuba putting it in DD. That would make pedal D and C# nice open notes. My idea would start with a large E-flat bugle. See if you can get your little minds around how that might work. :o

We have seen this before in the trombone world - a Bb/F/C bass trombone with ordinary quart down to F and ascending second to C. This was concepted as a pit instrument, using less space, and making nicely open pedal C's and B's instead of stuffy C's and B's as the usual Bb/F/Gb configuration. I totally get the idea.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
marccromme
bugler
bugler

Return to TubeNet