5th valve configuration

The bulk of the musical talk
geomiklas
3 valves
3 valves

5th valve configuration

Post by geomiklas »

I used to play Miraphone CC horns with the 5th valve that was Major 3rd configured (2+3). Currently I'm playing a horn where the 5th valve is flat wholestep configured.

I want to get back into a Miraphone CC, but need some counseling on the advantages of either fifth valve configuration.

Help.
1967 Mirafone 186 CC 5U Tuba
1974 Mirafone 184 CC 5U Tuba
1948 Besson 2-20 CC Sousaphone
2022 Eastern Music (Jinbao) C 4U Euphonium
John Packer JP134 C Valve Trombone
WANTED: Miraphone 56A 5U C Kaiser Baritone (5 or 4+1) :tuba:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: 5th valve configuration

Post by bort »

I like the longer Miraphone 5th valve... because that's what I learned to use when I started on CC (on a B&S PT3).

Biggest advantage, I find 235 F convenient, as well as 12345 for a soft pedal CC.

Beyond that... the biggest advantage is that I already know the long 5th system.
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Sam Gnagey »

I've conceptualized about an ascending 5th valve on a CC tuba putting it in DD. That would make pedal D and C# nice open notes. My idea would start with a large E-flat bugle. See if you can get your little minds around how that might work. :o
geomiklas
3 valves
3 valves

Post by geomiklas »

Sam Gnagey wrote:I've conceptualized about an ascending 5th valve on a CC tuba putting it in DD. That would make pedal D and C# nice open notes. My idea would start with a large E-flat bugle. See if you can get your little minds around how that might work. :o
Hmmm... lets see now.... my mind is not seeing it...
1967 Mirafone 186 CC 5U Tuba
1974 Mirafone 184 CC 5U Tuba
1948 Besson 2-20 CC Sousaphone
2022 Eastern Music (Jinbao) C 4U Euphonium
John Packer JP134 C Valve Trombone
WANTED: Miraphone 56A 5U C Kaiser Baritone (5 or 4+1) :tuba:
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

Sam Gnagey wrote:I've conceptualized about an ascending 5th valve on a CC tuba putting it in DD. That would make pedal D and C# nice open notes. My idea would start with a large E-flat bugle. See if you can get your little minds around how that might work. :o
We have seen this before in the trombone world - a Bb/F/C bass trombone with ordinary quart down to F and ascending second to C. This was concepted as a pit instrument, using less space, and making nicely open pedal C's and B's instead of stuffy C's and B's as the usual Bb/F/Gb configuration. I totally get the idea.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs