from henceforth... Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: from henceforth...

Postby Art Hovey » Tue May 15, 2018 4:52 pm

When (and How) did the sharp sign # become a "pound" sign?
I thought a pound sign was the british version of a dollar sign ($), sort of a script capital "L" with a slash through it.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Postby windshieldbug » Tue May 15, 2018 6:16 pm

#= An ligatured abbreviation for pounds avoirdupois (having been derived from the now-rare ℔).
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Postby Donn » Tue May 15, 2018 6:30 pm

Good point - how many # avoirdupois in a £ sterling?

I believe to find the root of the "hash" denotation, you'd go back through computer programming, some decades ago, and maybe from there to some other engineering type discipline. By the time i was occupied with such things, I guess we'd sort passed by the more colorful "bang", "splat" terminology and they were "exclamation point", "star" or "asterisk" ... and I believe "pound sign". I understand the English were calling it "octothorpe".
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby MikeW » Tue May 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Recent origin theory:
The pound sign got confused with the hash mark because of a mismatch between the national variant of International Alphabet number 2 used on British Teleprinters, and the US Teletype Alphabet used on American Tele
types: pressing the hash key on a Teletype would transmit a code that would be rendered by a Teleprinter as a pound (currency) sign. This mismatch does exist, but I believe the hash mark was used as an abbreviation for "pounds weight" long before these machines were invented.

Ancient origin theory (more likely):
At one time it was usual to write abbreviations with a ligand (a horizontal stroke across the letters). The Latin abbreviation lb (for libra pondo, or "scale weight"), when written with a ligand, soon degenerated into an illegible scribble, from which it re-emerged as the hash mark.
Imperial Eb Kellyberg
dilettante & gigless wannabe
MikeW
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Ken Crawford » Tue May 15, 2018 7:18 pm

windshieldbug wrote:Anybody that plays tuba knows that hencefifth is usable in more situations than hencefourth ... :tuba:

Unless it's a dependent hencefifth.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Tue May 15, 2018 8:22 pm

Ƀ :shock:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Previous

Return to TubeNet