Tips to get Out of Print Music/Parts? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Tips to get Out of Print Music/Parts?

Postby dgpretzel » Tue May 15, 2018 6:41 pm

I welcome any suggestions on locating OOP charts/parts.

Specifically, we're looking for a missing part (Flute 3/Piccolo) for "An American Symphony", Michael Kamen/Lavender.

It was published by Hal Leonard. In 1996, I think. Music from the movie, Mr. Holland's Opus.

I contacted Hal Leonard and asked to purchase a part from their archives. But they said that Copyright Law prohibits them from retaining any archival copies of their OOP music. That must seems bizarre to me, but what do I know. They said they cannot suggest any sources, and recommended we contact the Library of Congress. (So, it is legal for libraries to hold OOP material, but not the publisher [who, I would think, owns the copyright, since the composer has to give up copyright interests, in favor of the publisher, to get published]?)

Anyway, I tried Chatfield Band Music Library, which, so far (for the few cases we have tried) has been 100% successful in supplying OOP charts. Most recently, we did a Cinco de Mayo concert, and Chatfield was able to supply a bandset for "Estrellita", an OOP piece by a Mexican composer (I think it was published in the 1930's, I don't recall for sure). They had 17 versions (vocal, various instrumental solos, etc.) in their holdings! Unfortunately, they do not have "An American Symphony". Perhaps, it is too new!?!?

J.W. Pepper still has it listed, but they caution that they can only sell what's left in their inventory (which is now 0).

Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you.

DG
dgpretzel
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Tips to get Out of Print Music/Parts?

Postby Mark » Tue May 15, 2018 6:44 pm

Are you looking for the band or orchestra arrangement?
Mark Wiseman
Mark
6 valves
6 valves

Postby dgpretzel » Tue May 15, 2018 7:19 pm

Band, thank you.

DG
dgpretzel
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Mark » Tue May 15, 2018 7:26 pm

dgpretzel wrote:Band, thank you.

DG

You might try contacting Paul Lavender, the arranger. I believe he works for Hal Leonard.

Or, I beleive the music was purchase only when it was in print. So, the meriad of schools performiong this on YouTube presumably own the work. There might be one near you with an accommodating band director.
Mark Wiseman
Mark
6 valves
6 valves

Postby dgpretzel » Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 pm

Thank you for two good ideas. (And, yes, we are looking for the Lavender arrangement. There is at least one other.)

DG
dgpretzel
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Dan Schultz » Tue May 15, 2018 11:43 pm

You might try the Community Music Forum on Yahoo. It's a good group and they are quite willing to 'loan' music that's out of print.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Bohm & Meinl helicon, Marzan euph, King 2341, Alphorn, etc.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Postby dgpretzel » Wed May 16, 2018 1:48 pm

I apologize for being such a neanderthal, but might you be able to give a link to the yahoo music group? I went looking around at yahoo community, and saw only a few groups: sports and finance, for example. But, no music group.

Thank you.

DG
dgpretzel
3 valves
3 valves

Postby dgpretzel » Wed May 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Disregard.

Google is my friend.

DG
dgpretzel
3 valves
3 valves

Postby paulver » Thu May 17, 2018 3:01 am

Don't know if they would even have what you're looking for, but you might try the music library at The Eastman School of Music in Rochester, NY. Their music library is the second largest in the world. Oxford, in England, is number 1. Even if they don't have it, they might be able to help you find someone who does.
paulver
bugler
bugler

Postby dgpretzel » Thu May 17, 2018 1:20 pm

Thank you, all, for your helpful comments.

Fortunately, I found a source in a fellow community band, the Fairbanks Community Band. They are almost our next door neighbors, being only 700 miles North of Juneau.

DG
dgpretzel
3 valves
3 valves

Postby dgpretzel » Mon May 21, 2018 8:09 pm

Just FYI...

Probably most folks on this board know this, but for those that may be reading later, that don't...

There is a wonderful resource for out of print music: The Chatfield Music Lending Library ( https://chatfieldband.lib.mn.us/ ).

This organization has almost every conceivable piece of band music. And, sometimes, in multiple "flavors". Recently, for a Cinco de Mayo concert, we were looking for a long OOP Mexican piece, "Estrellita". None of the typical commercial sources had it, of course. Chatfield had it, and in 17 different editions (solos, ensembles, and band)!

A wonderful resource.

DG
dgpretzel
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Fergie » Mon May 21, 2018 10:39 pm

The Band Directors page on Facebook is a great resource for finding out of print music. I’ve used it a few times to snatch a few missing parts that JWpepper didn’t have.
Dvorak probably wrote the the fourteen notes in New World Symphony to get his tuba friends a gig.
Fergie
bugler
bugler

Return to TubeNet