Lebedev Concerto removed from NYSSMA manual?

The bulk of the musical talk
fashionella
lurker
lurker

Lebedev Concerto removed from NYSSMA manual?

Post by fashionella »

My daughter prepared her solo and found out at the 11th hour that it is no longer in the manual for level 6 NY All state? It's still listed on Hickeys, where she bought her music from. I think it's listed for bass trombome...she scrambling lol
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Lebedev Concerto removed from NYSSMA manual?

Post by Bill Troiano »

As one who was the chairman of the tuba solo and ensemble section of NYSSMA manual for 12 yrs., the most likely issue is that the Lebedev is out of print (even though Hickey's had a copy that you purchased.) Stores can have old stock even though something is out of print. When beginning research for the next manual (revised every 3 years), all chairpersons are sent a list of music that is POP (permanently out of print.) In those cases, we are requested to delete the POP selection from the list. Stores could still have a copy and band programs all over the State probably have copies. But, if it is POP, we are requested to delete it.

The only other issue, that I can think of, would be that the current tuba section chairman deemed the piece not worthy to be on the list anymore. I don't know who the current chairman is (I'm a Texan now), and I don't know why someone would remove it from the list based on it not being a good level 6 solo.

I removed many pieces from the list over the years, for various reasons. Range was a major consideration in my judgment. I was the one who had the exec. board agree to have the range printed next to each solo. That year (1985?), only the tuba solos had ranges listed. Then, it became standard and required for all brass instruments after that. I also removed several pieces I thought were dumb. There were a few listed that had more measures rest than actual note measures. Bye bye !! I changed levels on many, many more pieces because I thought they were listed at the wrong level. To do this job correctly, takes a lot of time. Besides playing through all of the currently listed selections, publishers send you tons of new material. I would play through that over and over again over a period of months, taking notes on each one. I would change my mind a lot over the months of evaluating the music.

For ensembles, I would invite my quartet over 2 times. Beer was required. We would play through all of the duets, trios, quartets, etc. until we drank too much or were just too tired. So, I had assistants helping me select the ensembles.

Not that this helps you, but I would say the Lebedev is POP or the tuba chairman deemed it no longer worthy of being considered a level 6. Is it listed as a level 5 now? If so, that would discount the POP idea.

In any event, your finding this out shouldn't have happened at the 11th hour. Somebody messed up by assigning this piece without checking the manual months ago.
threedognate
pro musician
pro musician

Post by threedognate »

Still available at J.W. Pepper - https://www.jwpepper.com/Concerto-in-On ... 815.item#/

Still published by Edition Musicus (part of Ensemble Publications) - http://www.enspub.com/pages/sku31280.htm

Appropriately annotated with "A true standard in the bass trombone and tuba solo literature."
Mansfield University Music Dept. Chair
Musical Director, Mountaineer Brass Band

1965 Holton 345 BB-flat
1980 Boosey & Hawkes Imperial E-flat
fashionella
lurker
lurker

Post by fashionella »

Interesting, all of what you wrote makes sense. Most likely an POP issue. She bought the piece, told her music director who didn't double check with the manual and Hickeys still has it listed as NYSSMA level 6. She's doing Enob Mort now...she was an alternate last year for AS with a 99 so she's hoping for the 100. She's going to NYSSSA again so she thrilled about that.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

The Ostrander version was arranged for bass trombone, and some notes were changed in the process.
I prefer the Leipzig edition. A new tuba student came to me last year from China, with a Chinese method book.
In the back of his book I found the Haddad, the correct Lebedev, and the Rimsky-Korsakov trombone concerto, down an octave.