B&S PT7 (4198) opinions

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

B&S PT7 (4198) opinions

Post by bort »

Hi everyone... does anyone out there have direct experience with the B&S PT7 that they can share? (Can email or PM me if you don't want to post publicly.)

I've already sent emails to the usual people that I bother with my questions (and THANK you for the replies), but was curious who else might have some first-hand experience with the PT7.

I know the basics -- essentially the same as a PT6, but a bigger bell and bottom bow(?)... and quite similar to the piston Neptune, but again, a different bell (and less "bling"). Also know that these are relatively rare, given the overwhelming popularity of the PT6p, and that it's a large tuba suitable for large-tuba things. I once owned a rotary Neptune, and have played PT6's in the past (a while ago). Generally know what this series of tubas is about... but haven't played a PT7.

I'm curious about playing characteristics, the type of sound (Holton 345/MW2165 kind of "BAT" sound, or a more focused sound than that? [I recall the PT6 not being particularly "woofy"...?]), ergonomics, weight, etc. Anything helps.

At this point, I'm not too interested to discuss alternate options, really just looking for information and experiences with the PT7. (And yes, I realize that this is a piston tuba!)

Thanks! :tuba:
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Re: B&S PT7 (4198) opinions

Post by Steve Marcus »

I can’t offer you comments about the sound and playability of the PT-7 because I’ve only tried them in exhibition booths. (Now, of course, the closest horn you’ll find in a Buffet booth is an MRP, sometimes with Mr. P. himself sitting with that tuba.)

But I can comment on the ergonomics. I could never get comfortable with a PT-7. Perhaps it was the position of the leadpipe. The irony is that the rotary B&S Neptune that I play, which has a larger bell (and bottom bow?) than the PT-7, is very comfortable to hold. It never gets stuffy, even on the low C# (5 valves). A few notes don’t slot as well as they would on other tubas.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Interesting, thanks Steve. I agree, the rotary Neptune was a really comfortable tuba to hold. Frankly, if I could have fit the 20.5 inch bell in my car, I would have kept it. :|
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

Do you realize that this is a piston tuba? :D
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

cjk wrote:Do you realize that this is a piston tuba? :D
I prefer to think of it as "20% rotary." :P
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

bort wrote:Frankly, if I could have fit the 20.5 inch bell in my car, I would have kept it. :|
Sounds like you should have changed car, rather than tuba :roll:

PS I will have a very special one-off handmade all gold brass Neptune up for sale soon. A lovely tuba, but I now never play
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Post by Levaix »

I know precisely one player (who is a professional) who played a PT-7. Two things to note:

1.) By his account the two other examples of this horn he tried were not worth owning.

2.) He now owns a different CC tuba. Granted, it's an absolutely beautiful Nirschl. :wink:

That being said he did sound great on it. He also sounded great on my old East German looks-like-it-went-through-a-war Sonora BBb. As always, if given the chance, try before you buy.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Levaix wrote:I know precisely one player (who is a professional) who played a PT-7. Two things to note:

1.) By his account the two other examples of this horn he tried were not worth owning.

2.) He now owns a different CC tuba. Granted, it's an absolutely beautiful Nirschl. :wink:

That being said he did sound great on it. He also sounded great on my old East German looks-like-it-went-through-a-war Sonora BBb. As always, if given the chance, try before you buy.
Thanks for the info! :)