Mouthpiece for Lidl 701 BBb Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
MoCoTubaBone
lurker
lurker

Mouthpiece for Lidl 701 BBb Tuba

Post by MoCoTubaBone »

Question for all the other Josef Lidl 701 BBb owners out there. What model/line of mouthpieces or shanks seem to work best for this tuba? I am currently using a PT-88 on it but it is totally the wrong shank size as the shank goes in only about 1/4 of an inch instead of a normal one inch or so. Any advice would be appreciated.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Mouthpiece for Lidl 701 BBb Tuba

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Your tuba has a receiver which takes an American shank. However, your mouthpiece has the larger Euro/German shank. Perantucci, for some reason, adds an S to the model number when the MP has an American shank.

More info here, including a post from Mr. Tucci himself:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84750&p=638205" target="_blank
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

The receiver is a LOT smaller than American if a PT88 only goes in 1/4".

Since you're not far from me, why don't you bring it over and I'll measure it?
MoCoTubaBone
lurker
lurker

Post by MoCoTubaBone »

Thanks for the answers. I was having confusion as the Lidl is of course a European made horn but has a really small shank receiver. I plan to get a digital caliber and see what the inner dimensions are. There must be a notable difference between my PT-88 and an American shank as the 88 is way too big for the Lidl shank. But it is too big for a bass trombone mouthpiece for instance.
sirtar
lurker
lurker

Post by sirtar »

I have Josph Lidl in C.... I purchased an Imperial mouthpiece with a british shank. Joe sells a rim that went on the cup that is similiar to a miraphone rim.

The other mouthpiece that went well with it was an older Miraphone Rose orchestra that was lost and the newer Rose models mouthpieces have a different shank.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

MoCoTubaBone wrote:Thanks for the answers. I was having confusion as the Lidl is of course a European made horn but has a really small shank receiver. I plan to get a digital caliber and see what the inner dimensions are. There must be a notable difference between my PT-88 and an American shank as the 88 is way too big for the Lidl shank. But it is too big for a bass trombone mouthpiece for instance.
Might be better to take Doug up on his kind offer. That's what I'd do in your place.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
PlayTheTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by PlayTheTuba »

I have never, as far as I know, seen or played a Lidl tuba but I heard like a Conn 5j that they are 7/8 sized tubas. A tuba player that I regularly play with owns a 5j but the receiver it has is smaller and perhaps shorter than the receiver on my King 1241. I assume that the King 1241/old style 2341 have American shank receivers on them. From what I have read perhaps Lidl tubas also have a shank size similar to a 5j? If my memory is correct, I theorize that since they are 7/8 tubas that it is better to have a receiver that is not to large or as large as the end of a American or European receiver when the lead pipe taper begins. Something akin to how a bass trombone shank might be the correct shank size for Eb tubas, in theory.