Information about Albin Richter tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
DenPaul
lurker
lurker

Information about Albin Richter tuba

Post by DenPaul »

Hello everybody!
I have an old tuba with 4 rotors, engraved with Albin Richter Trebsen (mulde). There is no information on the Internet about such a company, maybe you know something about this tuba? I would like to know his story. Many Thanks! :tuba:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Information about Albin Richter tuba

Post by imperialbari »

I see you have asked (in German) in a German forum, so you likely know that Trebsen an der Mulde is a small town of less than 4000 inhabitants localised on the east side of Leipzig in the rural county associated with Leipzig.

My vision is not good, but I would rather say this is a pre-WWII instrument. I see no elements telling that it is a stencil made by a predecessor of B&S. Looks more like an instrument by a German speaking maker in the then Sudetenland (Northern Bohemia).

Klaus
DenPaul
lurker
lurker

Post by DenPaul »

imperialbari wrote:I see you have asked (in German) in a German forum, so you likely know that Trebsen an der Mulde is a small town of less than 4000 inhabitants localised on the east side of Leipzig in the rural county associated with Leipzig.

My vision is not good, but I would rather say this is a pre-WWII instrument. I see no elements telling that it is a stencil made by a predecessor of B&S. Looks more like an instrument by a German speaking maker in the then Sudetenland (Northern Bohemia).

Klaus
I am inclined to think the same way, many thanks, any opinion helps to assemble the information bit by bit!
DenPaul
lurker
lurker

Post by DenPaul »

bloke wrote::arrow: I know ~NOTHING AT ALL~ about this...

That having been said, the apparent workmanship (based on the pictures) made the first word that popped in my head be "Russia".
What exactly do you mean?
DenPaul
lurker
lurker

Post by DenPaul »

bloke wrote:
DenPaul wrote:
bloke wrote::arrow: I know ~NOTHING AT ALL~ about this...

That having been said, the apparent workmanship (based on the pictures) made the first word that popped in my head be "Russia".
What exactly do you mean?
engraving - shape - fit/finish - type of finish

My post is nearly meaningless, because I'm ignorant regarding this maker/name/brand.
Well, this is absolutely out of the question, since tubas of Russian production - Leningrad / Moscow / Kiev/ Tula (in the order of deterioration), have a completely different design, which is the same for all manufacturers. Believe me, so is the quality of sound and convenience. And this tuba has nothing the same with Zimmerman's instruments. Also in the period of tsarist Russia the invited masters from Germany worked with the brass instruments, there were close ties in this area, there were a lot of good borrowings, which unfortunately did not take root after the revolution. Russian tubas of the Soviet period are so bad that it even offends me that you thought so :mrgreen:
By the way thank you for responding!
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

When I look closely at the second pic with real strong glasses, it seems that the third and fourth valve slides are in the same place they'd be on a B&S 101 (or an Alex 163)....... DenPaul, could we get a picture of the rear of the tuba?
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
DenPaul
lurker
lurker

Post by DenPaul »

SJVjVvEtFus.jpg
Heavy_Metal wrote:When I look closely at the second pic with real strong glasses, it seems that the third and fourth valve slides are in the same place they'd be on a B&S 101 (or an Alex 163)....... DenPaul, could we get a picture of the rear of the tuba?
Yeah ofc, here it is
Don't pay any attention to the clip holder clamping, its not original, i did it
It's really very similar, but the location and bend of mouthpipe are very untipical for Bb tubas, and the "downward shifted" valves system (i hope you understand what im talking about), lead me to think about Alex , but i don't sure
And here is pics of other parts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DenPaul
lurker
lurker

Post by DenPaul »

And the rotors
TheBerlinerTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheBerlinerTuba »

Hello DenPaul,

I don't have much information but here is what I know.
Richter was a small instrument dealer and publishing house active from after WWI to WWII (approximate).
I don't know for sure if they built instruments in house, rather these were built to order tubas from Markneukichen/Klingenthal. It's possible the parts were ordered and assembled in Trebsen but I don't know for sure. The design of the valve block is definitely from Markneukirchen and was made sometime in the 1930s. The nickel plating points to the tuba being used in a military context.
Cheers
The Berliner Tuba
1278185r.jpg
DenPaul
lurker
lurker

Post by DenPaul »

TheBerlinerTuba wrote:Hello DenPaul,

I don't have much information but here is what I know.
Richter was a small instrument dealer and publishing house active from after WWI to WWII (approximate).
I don't know for sure if they built instruments in house, rather these were built to order tubas from Markneukichen/Klingenthal. It's possible the parts were ordered and assembled in Trebsen but I don't know for sure. The design of the valve block is definitely from Markneukirchen and was made sometime in the 1930s. The nickel plating points to the tuba being used in a military context.
Cheers
The Berliner Tuba
1278185r.jpg
Thank you very much, this is very valuable information!