Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 (Organ Symphony) Errata

The bulk of the musical talk
Mark

Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 (Organ Symphony) Errata

Post by Mark »

In the first movement, there are 16 measures of rest between the Allegro moderato and rehearsal letter A. The part I was given and every other tuba part I could find shows 2 measures of rest.
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 (Organ Symphony) Errata

Post by cambrook »

Not a problem on the part that I've always seen used...?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Relax. If you know the piece at all, you'll easily hear where that entrance is. If you don't know it, just pull up a recording on Youtube and stare at your part. All the entrances are pretty obvious.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Very enjoyable. Always look forward when it passes my way.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
Mark

Post by Mark »

cambrook wrote:Not a problem on the part that I've always seen used...?
In the part I was given, the 15 measures of rest before A is written as 1 measure of rest. Yes, it was obvious this was wrong. A quick glance at the bass trombone part was all that was needed. There is no publisher/edition printed on the part. I posted to warn folks that there is a bad part out there. They have only had 130+ years to correct it.
Mark

Post by Mark »

bloke wrote:No matter how many years there may be printed mistakes in any of those parts, I just don't see how the printing can be fixed.
The orchestra's librarians should haved fixed the part long ago.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Mark wrote:In the first movement, there are 16 measures of rest between the Allegro moderato and rehearsal letter A. The part I was given and every other tuba part I could find shows 2 measures of rest.
Yeah, I played this piece a while back. I had the same misprint in my part. Letter V in the last movement is a bar early; checked with the bass bone.

I've found numerous mistakes/misprints in old orchestral tuba parts over the years. Kalmus Publishing in particular was notorious for that :x

There is also that infamous missing bar with the dotted eights/sixteenths in Tchaik 4 :idea: