What Mouthpiece for my Besson?

The bulk of the musical talk
KingBassTrombone
bugler
bugler

What Mouthpiece for my Besson?

Post by KingBassTrombone »

I've got a 1957 Besson 220 series in BBb... the goofy one with the recording bell. I've got a small fleet of mouthpieces of all sizes, but the only one I've got that fits is some Czechoslovakian mouthpiece made of German silver, I suspect for a small European-style tuba in Eb or F. It kinda-but-doesn't-really fit in the receiver and the horn is giving me plenty of hints that it doesn't fit the horn at all. The sound is very thin, gets even thinner and gritty when pushed louder... not the sound I expect from a recording bell!

My other two tuba mouthpieces are an American-shank H.N.White 26 and a Small-shank (a little bigger than bass trombone) Conn S. Neither of them fit.

So, I'm in need of a mouthpiece that will fit both this horn and my face. I'm more at home on the Trombone, and I know basically nothing about tuba mouthpieces, so I was kind of hoping the community could help a brother out. The only preferences I have is that I really like the rim size of a Conn 18 or a Helleberg, it needs to fit the Euro-shank (?) receiver, and I'd like to produce a nice fat sound almost akin to a proper B.A.T. (I know my Besson is only a 4/4... but still)

I know there's probably some multi-part mouthpiece combination that is perfect for me... but chances are, I can't afford it... so up goes the difficulty :lol:
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Re: What Mouthpiece for my Besson?

Post by Heavy_Metal »

How does the Czech MP "not fit"? Too big for the receiver? Too small?
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

The Czech's in the mail.

Sorry - couldn't stop myself.
KingBassTrombone
bugler
bugler

Post by KingBassTrombone »

Heavy_Metal wrote:How does the Czech MP "not fit"? Too big for the receiver? Too small?
It's a bit too small. I have to wrap the shank in tape for it to fit.