Seeking Opinions: St. Pete vs Luzern vs Mack 210

The bulk of the musical talk
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Seeking Opinions: St. Pete vs Luzern vs Mack 210

Post by groth »

Doc wrote:I am seeking opinions and experience regarding how the Wessex Luzern, Mack 210, and the St. Pete 202 compare to each other. My reference point will be the St. Pete, as I I have plenty of experience with them (and I like the newer ones with working valves), but no experience with the others (FWIW, I thought the HB 192 was a great instrument when I tried it years ago).

Thank you for your kind and highly detailed responses!
I've played extensively on both the Mack 210 and the 202/203 both. The larger bore isn't too bad of an air hog, but as Bloke mentioned it does take control to dial in your playing style. Both of those are not exactly in my opinion "point and shoot" like other horns. St. Pete's usually have a tremendous bottom and pedal octave, where the 210 that I played for a couple months struggled below low Bb even with a large mouthpiece. Both horns (210/202) are fairly mouthpiece sensitive where the 210 I had LOVED the Giddings Taku and the St. Pete's loved the Diablo or anything Perantucci 32.50mm rim diameter and above. I have no experience with the Wessex yet so no comment. Good Luck.