RE: Process on buying a Nirschl Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
thetubalover
lurker
lurker

RE: Process on buying a Nirschl Tuba

Post by thetubalover »

Greetings fellow tubists!

Anyone had any experience with buying a Nirschl Tuba from the factory? I would like to consider getting the 4/4 MWN York Copy CC tuba from the Geretsried Factory. Anyone knows about the waiting time or I can pick from several available ones there?

And, what is the difference between the MWN 7 CC Tuba(4/4 CC) and the BM Symphonic 565 4/4 CC Tuba?

Does Nirschl tubas come in lacquer version too or only Silver-plated version? Does anyone knows about the pricing for the tubas?

Sorry for asking so much questions, thank you for reading! :) :)
Have a great weekend ahead!

Regards,
A curious tuba player
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Re: RE: Process on buying a Nirschl Tuba

Post by apkujala »

Howdy!

I got myself this B&F Kaiser half a year ago. I don't know if I am 100% right but think all Geretsried instruments are handmade, and that would be the difference of MWN vs BM symphonic.

Nirschl is very small factory in terms of employers so the line can be quite long from time to time. My kaiser took a year to get to my hands from ordering. It propably was bit longer project than these more common York copy tubas, tho.
But my guess would be 6-8months.

My guess for the 4/4 price is around 14k euro+taxes, as if i remember correct the 6/4 was 16k last year..
Oh yea, he only has silver-plating option on his tubas. Maybe raw too but...

You should just send Walter an email. He is sometimes bit slow on answering them as he is a busy guy.
His webpages also are quite uninformative, have a feeling it even has wrong email.. walter@walter is right one..
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Post by Snake Charmer »

Once upon a time...
Some years ago I did the adventure of buying a tuba from Walter. It was his not-York-CC, the model he later sold to Besson. By the way, wonderful instrument.
I tested the horn at Frankfurt Musikmesse in spring and visited Walter in Geretsried few weeks later for specifying leadpipe height and some small ergonomic issues. He promised me a date to pick up the tuba in July. Mid of August I first called for asking. During summer and autumn I called quite often, sometimes daily... His secretary was very nice (but she may has retired now)...
At last in December I was able to pick up an instrument. I think it was not the one proposed to be mine, but this I realised in the following weeks. I was too glad to have it! Some weeks later I had to go to Geretsried again to fix some smaller issues from hastily finish like very tight upward facing and falling-out-while-playing downward tuning slides.
With this tuba I played the concert of my life. You know, that only one when you play really 110% and set the air on fire with the first note. But the trouble of buying just annoyed me enough to sell it after a few years, I just could not enjoy it properly. At least I made no financial loss and the buyer was quite happy to find a Nirschl without having to wait...
Walter is a great instrument maker/designer, but he should hire someone for logistics and communication!
thetubalover
lurker
lurker

Post by thetubalover »

apkujala wrote:Howdy!

I got myself this B&F Kaiser half a year ago. I don't know if I am 100% right but think all Geretsried instruments are handmade, and that would be the difference of MWN vs BM symphonic.

Nirschl is very small factory in terms of employers so the line can be quite long from time to time. My kaiser took a year to get to my hands from ordering. It propably was bit longer project than these more common York copy tubas, tho.
But my guess would be 6-8months.

My guess for the 4/4 price is around 14k euro+taxes, as if i remember correct the 6/4 was 16k last year..
Oh yea, he only has silver-plating option on his tubas. Maybe raw too but...

You should just send Walter an email. He is sometimes bit slow on answering them as he is a busy guy.
His webpages also are quite uninformative, have a feeling it even has wrong email.. walter@walter is right one..
Thank you! I emailed Mr Nirschl at the email the website provided and also the email you provided. So far still haven't gotten a reply, will continue to wait! I have the same thoughts as you. The Nirschl 4/4 should be a more 'commonly' purchased instrument so hopefully it will be faster in terms of production.
Snake Charmer wrote:Once upon a time...
Some years ago I did the adventure of buying a tuba from Walter. It was his not-York-CC, the model he later sold to Besson. By the way, wonderful instrument.
I tested the horn at Frankfurt Musikmesse in spring and visited Walter in Geretsried few weeks later for specifying leadpipe height and some small ergonomic issues. He promised me a date to pick up the tuba in July. Mid of August I first called for asking. During summer and autumn I called quite often, sometimes daily... His secretary was very nice (but she may has retired now)...
At last in December I was able to pick up an instrument. I think it was not the one proposed to be mine, but this I realised in the following weeks. I was too glad to have it! Some weeks later I had to go to Geretsried again to fix some smaller issues from hastily finish like very tight upward facing and falling-out-while-playing downward tuning slides.
With this tuba I played the concert of my life. You know, that only one when you play really 110% and set the air on fire with the first note. But the trouble of buying just annoyed me enough to sell it after a few years, I just could not enjoy it properly. At least I made no financial loss and the buyer was quite happy to find a Nirschl without having to wait...
Walter is a great instrument maker/designer, but he should hire someone for logistics and communication!
Thank you for your reply! I hope all is good too and I hope I will be lucky enough to find a 2nd hand 4/4 Nirschl CC Tuba if I am unable to get a new one. :)
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

I am the happy owner of a 4/4 Nirschl CC in lacquer finish that Walter built in Geretsried in 1995.

When I brought the horn to my instructor as I was considering purchasing it from its original owner in 1999, he test-played it for far longer than he had originally intended. Then he leaned over and, in a soft voice, said, “This is a very special horn.” My heart was pumping away in joy because, at the time, that 4/4 CC was intended to be my only tuba. I’ve since acquired other tubas for other applications, but the 4/4 Nirschl CC remains my go-to horn.

My understanding is that after the last new 4/4 Nirschls were gradually sold off by Custom Music, Dillon, and perhaps other authorized retailers, Walter served as consultant for the creation of the Besson 995, which is based upon his 4/4 CC.

IIRC, eventually Walter sold the mandrels and the rights to the 4/4 CC design to BMB. They now sell it as a model 845.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Here is an excellent used Nirschl 4/4. The seller is a professional in California, and is a great guy... I realize there IS value to buying a brand new tuba when money and circumstances allow... but, for me, it's hard to ignore 1) the difference in price, 2) the verification that this tuba is a great one (some new tubas -- particularly when handmade -- have a lot of variation!), and 3) the fact that this tuba already exists.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=86452" target="_blank
tubamuphone
bugler
bugler

Post by tubamuphone »

PM Sent.
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Post by rodmathews »

Last edited by rodmathews on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

I got my Nirschl York 20 years ago. Since I was living in Europe at the time, I simply called and found out when the next batch of 4 instruments would be finished. When they were, I drove down to Geretsried and had my pick of the batch.