Question for women ONLY re "shapewear"

The bulk of the musical talk
lprince
bugler
bugler

Question for women ONLY re "shapewear"

Post by lprince »

Dudes, seriously, go away and save your women's underwear jokes for this thread- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76212" target="_blank

Seriously, I am not requesting any comments about my body, other people's bodies, how you like or don't like bodies, its creepy and not wanted. I am seeking practical advice about how to adjust wardrobe for tuba playing.

Hello ladies,

I was hoping to hear if anyone else has any experience or thoughts on playing while wearing "shapewear" (eg spanx). I have found limited information online about this topic, even for other instruments/vocalists.

I recently transitioned to playing while standing up and also have been trying out some shapewear so I look less lumpy while strapping a giant metal object to my body. After a couple sets I feel more 'winded,' like I can't breath as much as I would like. Has anyone found any brand that is less restrictive while still 'keeping it together'? Is this a bad thing and should I just wear more flowy outfits for tuba-ing?

Thanks!
ufonium2
bugler
bugler

Re: Question for women ONLY re "shapewear"

Post by ufonium2 »

Depending on the area you’re trying to “keep together,” I really like Flexees by Maidenform. They are not very restrictive, and the shorts are seamless (I guess that’s the term) at the bottom, so there’s no visible line under tight pants. I don’t think I’ve worn them while playing, but I wear them to conduct and sing with no problems.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I will admit to not even knowing what shapewear is, so I can be of no help. Were I to change from my usual garb of black and black, it would be for a flowing black dress that did not fit tightly. Look at what the cello players wear....think of yourself as dressing magnificently.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

nobody can see into the back row. You can slacken belt (and more) to relax the waist, nobody will ever catch you and certainly not complain about it.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

I suspect that if she is standing up, she is not in the back row any more.
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oldschooltuba »

I will soon stand out front. Holding at Yamaha 822F. that "belt" are you using to hold the instrument....and yes I know I am not a girl.
Eric Hunter
http://www.tubaforum.net/index.php" target="_blank
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)
Tuba Shorty
lurker
lurker

Post by Tuba Shorty »

I've never worn shape-wear per-say while playing a tuba but I have worn tights that layed on my mid-stomach area that went under my concert dress. With the tights that went up to my stomach I found myself having to rely on my upper torso more than my lower gut. I am a very small person (hence the name Tuba Shorty haha) and so I usually use my WHOLE torso to breathe and so the restriction on my lower torso did make it harder to breathe. When I have to wear the tights for concerts I usually just scrunch the fabric of the tights to lie below my stomach and on my hip line so that I can actually breathe. I personally would rather have lumpy looking lines and be able to breathe than look pretty and not play.

Side note: If you've got a short torso (like me) where you have to set your tuba on your chair for your mouthpiece to reach your mouth, DON'T WEAR PENCIL SKIRTS. I know from experience and it is not pleasant when you have to crank your neck upwards like a giraffe to reach your mouthpiece at a concert. It don't look good and it don't feel good.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Is this really happening on Tubenet????? I mean, like, people being courteous and helpful with no put downs or other sarcasm?!?!
Free to tuba: good home
Aglenntuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Aglenntuba »

Ken Herrick wrote:Is this really happening on Tubenet????? I mean, like, people being courteous and helpful with no put downs or other sarcasm?!?!
I think the OP is severely limiting her search by refusing the input of the TNFJ (Tube Net Fat Jentlemen). I'm sure there's lots of experience with tight clothing to be had!!
How was that? :tuba:
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Aglenntuba wrote:
Ken Herrick wrote:Is this really happening on Tubenet????? I mean, like, people being courteous and helpful with no put downs or other sarcasm?!?!
I think the OP is severely limiting her search by refusing the input of the TNFJ (Tube Net Fat Jentlemen). I'm sure there's lots of experience with tight clothing to be had!!
How was that? :tuba:
I may be a bit overweight BUT, I'm just NOT into shapewear in any sense!
Free to tuba: good home
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Hi Dr. L. It's been a long time. I can't help you regarding your wardrobe. I do play standing most of the time and sometimes I loosen my belt, mostly depending upon prior beer consumption expansion. Do you remember when you took the train out to my neck of LI from the city (and I got a flat tire picking you up at the station) to try out my Yammy 621? I still have it and use it sometimes. But, I do 90% of my playing standing and half of that is with my CC sousaphone. Good luck !!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

lost wrote:I think the OP was really clear with her wishes to not turn this into a joke thread.
She even provided a link to the joke thread if that's what we were looking for. And I'm glad she did!!

:tuba:
lprince wrote:Dudes, seriously, go away and save your women's underwear jokes for this thread- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76212" target="_blank" target="_blank
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
lprince
bugler
bugler

Post by lprince »

Thanks all for the comments, thoughts, and being considerate of my request. I was restrictive requesting serious replies because I know the topic is ripe for a joke (or 1000) and I wanted to make sure helpful answers did not get lost in humor. Also, because it is a topic about women's clothing in a male dominated field there is potential for the conversation to be sexualized, which is not helpful or humorous.

Bloke, I would definitely appreciate your friend's experience with the 'corset-thing' and trombone. Similarly if anyone else (of any gender) had to wear a abdominal binder, maybe after a surgery, and has playing experience that could be a helpful contribution to the discussion.

Bill- I do remember coming out to LI to try out your yamaha, it's a great little horn, glad to hear you're still playing it sometimes!

I recently acquired a Cerveny Piggy and am playing with a neotech harness (http://a.co/fkkPVWh" target="_blank). It's possible the torso constriction from the harness and the abdomen constriction of the 'shapewear' is making it harder for my body to expand. Maybe I should try an alternative strap that puts less weight on the shoulders and is more on the hips (eg https://tubtub.jimdo.com/deutsch/tubagurt/" target="_blank)?

From now on getting ready for gigs I will always think of myself as "dressing magnificently" (thanks MaryAnn) and will try scrunching the elastic below my stomach to see if it helps with expansion (thanks Tuba Shorty). I'll try to follow up after my next gig with results.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

"Maybe I should try an alternative strap that puts less weight on the shoulders and is more on the hips"
You might contact Carol Jantsch of the Philly Orchestra. I have seen her many times wearing the belt, same/similar to Mnozil Brass' Willi B. She occasionally posts here on tubenet.
Bearin' up!
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Having been raised by women after my father and grandfather died within a few years of each other, I will say that, as a boy with no siblings or babysitters (all the women went shopping together) and having been dragged around to various women's departments in various stores and told to sit in a chair and wait while the ladies shopped, I know more than a man should about this issue.

All elastic will impinge upon the diaphragm and the intercostals, impeding proper breathing. Period. I don't care if it is spanx, an old-fashioned girdle, a guy trying to wear the same size tidy-whities he had in college, or whatever. All elastic around the waist makes for more work for the exact same muscles that are needed for proper breath support.

Years ago, for playing brass while wearing a tuxedo, I relegated the typical elastic strap cummerbund to the back of the closet for these very reasons. When playing tuba at the back of an ensemble, I don't even wear a vest, just the standard tuxedo pants with braces, tailored an inch larger in the waist than my usual suit trousers so nothing impedes breathing. If I am playing a smaller instrument, euph or trumpet, I will wear a vest that I have had tailored to look good, but not be tight. I compensate by tying my own bow tie. NO pretied ties. Why? Because I can.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.