small tuba recommendations Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: small tuba recommendations

Postby pjv » Wed May 30, 2018 5:22 am

I am assuming that your neck issues have to do with pain in your neck due to lifting or holding a heavy tuba (and not because of the tubas position on your body).
I've had neck issues but this had less to do with the weight and more to do with how my body and the horn matched up.
Cerveny makes very lightweight tuba's, as does Alexander. You'll be able to play with the same breadth of your Marzan without having to downsize. I'm not sure if a compact model will help you neck or not. That's obviously something you need to try out first. If small is what you need, Cerveny has many compact models. Don't just buy a Piggy cause everyone screams Piggy.
Yes, the Tiger tuba is super light but it's medium size. As well you might find yourself doing a lot of creative investments to get the valves to quiet down cause they are very noisy.
And don't hesitate to use a stand if this helps in any way.
I have an old style Walberg and Auge stand which I once used extensively at gigs when I had messed my shoulder.
In other words check out your options.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Postby jstrother123 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:38 pm

Thanks for all of the input. The neck issues are with the lifting and holding my Marzan. I have been trying to use a hercules stand but it has issues with the weight causing it to sink no matter how tight I turn the knobs. I have an old wenger stand that has no issues with the horn, but it is not exactly portable. Still looking and examining all options. Thanks again.

Jim
jstrother123
bugler
bugler

Postby pjv » Wed May 30, 2018 5:01 pm

ok.
I've heard about Yamaha Airlift stands being very light. I don't know if they're still in production but I seem to remember it getting some good reviews.
Anyway, neck problems and playing tuba are no strangers to each other. In all honesty, with most tubas its quite difficult to play them while sitting up straight. One often has to have their head&neck forward a bit in order to play. Many players don't have a problem with this but I do, so I have often had mouthpiece adjustments made to tubas to compensate for this.
A lighter tuba will certainly make lifting it easier. Smaller may or may not be the way to go. Try, then buy (of coarse).
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Postby TheGoyWonder » Wed May 30, 2018 5:33 pm

maybe you can squat the tuba, instead of using your arms and back too much???
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Wed May 30, 2018 6:29 pm

curious...
Do those thick-plastic piggy-shaped tubas actually weigh significantly less than those thin-brass piggy-shaped tubas?
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Mark Finley » Wed May 30, 2018 6:44 pm

I've played one. It did seem light, maybe 12 pounds?
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby tofu » Thu May 31, 2018 1:44 am

Lidl - 16 lbs. even
Easy to hold / well balanced / hand made / super high quality rotary valves
Comes with a very high quality Jacob Winter case that fits it like a glove. Case is easy too hold with horn inside and feels not much bigger (or heavier) than a euph case, but it also has wheels and a nice rubber pull handle - so it is like pulling a large suitcase in the airport.

With a 16.5 inch bell it truly can play much bigger than it looks - very nice as a quintet horn - but also nice in a band section. Could be used as the only tuba say in a group up to 45.

Lidl is a very old European manufacturer dating back to the mid 1800's - known for their french horns - they make about 60 tubas a year - all handmade.

Lee Stofer in Iowa was a dealer and he thought the valves were even better made then Miraphone which says a lot. You might still be able to get a used one from Lee. Horn Guys in CA. was also a dealer and I think they were selling them for $4400 including case (the case alone would sell for around $750). The factory as I understand it had a fire a year ago or so and tuba production apparently was a casualty for the time being. So I don't know if new ones are available at this time - I would contact Horn Guys or Lee for a new or used one.

I bought one after a car accident several years ago and found it really nice. Nice sound, quick response and fast quiet valves. When I recovered I sold it as I was back my regular horns, but I seriously considered hanging on to it. It is somewhat of a trade off when you buy a smaller horn - many of them are designed for students and the quality is often in line with that as hitting price points dictates that. They also often have trouble producing and projecting a lot of sound. The Lidl was first rate in terms of fit and finish, lots of nickel silver, superb slide alignment and the valves were as nice as my Miraphones. This is not a student horn - how they were able to sell them at such a low price is beyond me for a handmade & low volume production- I assumed they did it for company pride and that they made their money on their mainstay - french horns. BBb/CC/Eb/F versions of the tuba were available.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Postby pjv » Thu May 31, 2018 4:58 am

tiger=12lbs
piggy=22lbs
tiger is a larger wrap than a piggy. Not that I'm recommending either. If you are really going to make a change then you really have to try out what works for you. If that means making a road trip then I'd think that this would be worth the investment.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Thu May 31, 2018 2:42 pm

The one to which I linked the sponsor forum is 16 pounds – tuba only.
bloke

Postby Mark Finley » Thu May 31, 2018 2:55 pm

Having had a piggy for 20 years, I'm really doubting the 22 pound figure. I'd put it more at 16
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Thu May 31, 2018 4:32 pm

Mark Finley wrote:Having had a piggy for 20 years, I'm really doubting the 22 pound figure. I'd put it more at 16

...but you're so big and strong...

bloke "...and you're factoring in 'wind chill'..."
bloke

Postby jstrother123 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:55 pm

I can't thank the group enough for all of the input. I want to also put in a good word for Mack Brass. I had reached out to them about their horns and they were very helpful in looking at my setup with the hercules stand and offered a solution to help it handle my horn's weight (a hose clamp just above the clamping screw).

Jim
jstrother123
bugler
bugler

Postby Donn » Thu May 31, 2018 10:13 pm

Mark Finley wrote:Having had a piggy for 20 years, I'm really doubting the 22 pound figure. I'd put it more at 16

The weights thread had them down for 18. They probably do get heavier if you overfeed them.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby pjv » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:59 am

I took it from the Cerveny site.
Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if their tubas have become lighter over the years. They certainly haven't changed their site much.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Three Valves » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:36 am

jstrother123 wrote:...were very helpful in looking at my setup with the hercules stand and offered a solution to help it handle my horn's weight (a hose clamp just above the clamping screw).

Jim

Thanks for passing it along!!
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Art Hovey » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:48 pm

There is a 3/4-size Eastman which is essentially a YBB-103 body with a King-clone 4-piston front-action valve set. I bought one almost a year ago and still like it. I recently performed the "Carioca" solo for tuba and band with it, standing up with a strap. I would recommend it for a geezer like me or for a good middle-school kid.
I also like my Tiger for its light weight and fat sound, but it is not comfortable to play (for me) and is not built to last.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Postby jstrother123 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:49 am

Thanks everyone for the input and recommendations. I have located a yamaha 103 for a decent price and hopefully will be able to get back into playing again. On a side note, my Marzan slant rotor will be available in a couple of months after I adjust to the new horn.

Jim
jstrother123
bugler
bugler

Postby TUbajohn20J » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:49 pm

Conn 10J has always been my favorite small tuba. 3 upright valves, big 18" bell and in tune from the factory. They really sing and sound a lot bigger with a deep funnel mouthpiece like a helleberg. You can pick a good one up for a few hundred dollars usually. I just sold one for $300 in excellent playing condition.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Conn 40K
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Postby TUbajohn20J » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Didn't see you already went with the 103. Fun little horns. Good luck!
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Conn 40K
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Previous

Return to TubeNet