small tuba recommendations Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

small tuba recommendations

Postby jstrother123 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:09 pm

For years I have played one of Dan Schultz's Marzans and loved it. I am now having too many neck issues to be able to continue with this horn, so I am looking for suggestions for a lighter/smaller horn. I am aware of the Yamaha YBB-103 and on the lookout for one, but I have also come across the Wessex Mighty Midget which looks interesting. Anyone ever use one or can recommend another smaller horn? Thanks.
jstrother123
bugler
bugler

Re: small tuba recommendations

Postby Ken Crawford » Mon May 28, 2018 10:39 pm

If BBb is your thing, a Conn 5J is the winner for small and nice playing.

The mighty midget is a toy that doesn't play particularly well. Not something you want to have as your primary instrument.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby pauvog1 » Mon May 28, 2018 11:00 pm

Kalison DS
B&S PT-18p
pauvog1
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Donn » Mon May 28, 2018 11:18 pm

The Marzan is something like 25 lbs? You might be able to get a full size Cerveny at 3/4 the weight. Or 1/2 for a Chinese plastic tuba. European tubas vary considerably, I gather - Alexander is reported to be on the light side, though not as light as Cerveny. Drill holes in the valve paddles, like bicyclists used to do with their brake handles and stuff to save weight. Then there's Eb and F. And tuba stands.
Of course, for best results, a James R New C-1 mouthpiece is recommended!
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Northernlb » Tue May 29, 2018 5:35 am

Mirafone 184
Ceveny Piggy
Dr. Jason Bouchard
Northern Low Brass
http://northernlowbrass.webs.com/
Robert Tucci Mouthpiece Dealer
Northernlb
4 valves
4 valves

Postby TheTuba » Tue May 29, 2018 6:02 am

+1 for a tuba stand if it's playing.
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
bugler
bugler

Postby Wyvern » Tue May 29, 2018 7:49 am

Ken Crawford wrote:The mighty midget is a toy that doesn't play particularly well. Not something you want to have as your primary instrument.

Hundreds of satisfied purchasers might disagree with you! :roll:

Incredible as it might sound, the Mighty Midget is Wessex best selling tuba. Peoples likes do vary tremendously.
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby Ken Crawford » Tue May 29, 2018 8:22 am

Wyvern wrote:
Ken Crawford wrote:The mighty midget is a toy that doesn't play particularly well. Not something you want to have as your primary instrument.

Hundreds of satisfied purchasers might disagree with you! :roll:

Incredible as it might sound, the Mighty Midget is Wessex best selling tuba. Peoples likes do vary tremendously.

Just because you've sold hundreds doesn't mean hundreds of people are using them as their primary instrument. Let's be realistic.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Mark Finley » Tue May 29, 2018 8:41 am

Funny thing about the mighty midget. The first time I played one, it was a terrible experience, couldn't put it down fast enough.

The second time i used an f tuba mouthpiece. It played nice, and was a great experience. Went back to my BBb mouthpiece, and it was terrible again. They are VERY mouthpiece specific

I think those tubas do have a place in this world, especially if you are in a situation where you can mic and EQ them. They are not toys or junk by any means, and if I was standing and playing a tuba in a street band or a jazz combo, I would consider one for purchase
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Tue May 29, 2018 9:15 am

jstrother123 wrote:...I am looking for suggestions for a lighter/smaller horn...Anyone ever use one or can recommend another smaller horn? Thanks.

http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=87540
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Three Valves » Tue May 29, 2018 12:20 pm

The Mack should also be a consideration...

http://www.mackbrass.com/MACK-TU520L__BBb_Tuba.php
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Mark Finley » Tue May 29, 2018 12:29 pm

I have played that model. Fun horn! It's basically a 4 rotor yamaha 103
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby The Big Ben » Tue May 29, 2018 2:15 pm

Olds 099-4. Many have been through the middle school band room and can be thrashed but there are plenty which haven't. If you can live with a 3v, the Olds 099 is usually way cheap. Lots of beat up ones but lots of decent ones, too.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Postby The Big Ben » Tue May 29, 2018 2:23 pm

jstrother123 wrote:For years I have played one of Dan Schultz's Marzans and loved it. I am now having too many neck issues to be able to continue with this horn, so I am looking for suggestions for a lighter/smaller horn. I am aware of the Yamaha YBB-103 and on the lookout for one, but I have also come across the Wessex Mighty Midget which looks interesting. Anyone ever use one or can recommend another smaller horn? Thanks.

John Packer's JP179B looks just like a Yamaha 103 with a 4th valve added. I've seen a street price of about $2700 for one, all shiny and new and in a case. Mouthpiece, too!

https://www.johnpacker.co.uk/prod/jp179b-tuba
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Postby The Big Ben » Tue May 29, 2018 2:26 pm

bloke wrote:
jstrother123 wrote:...I am looking for suggestions for a lighter/smaller horn...Anyone ever use one or can recommend another smaller horn? Thanks.

http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=87540

Dittos, Bloke!
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Postby fourbass » Tue May 29, 2018 4:23 pm

I second the vote for the Conn 5J. I am a CC player and love my Piggy. But If had a choice I would probably opt for a Conn 2 or 3J which is the CC version of the 5J. The guy who sits next to me in Brass Band plays a 5J and he sounds marvelous.
[url]https://sites.google.com/site/beckertuba/home-1[/url]
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Cerveny "Piggy" CC
B&S Symphonie Model F
Bundy tenor trombone
fourbass
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Tue May 29, 2018 9:38 pm

I have never considered a Conn 5J tubas to be a lightweight, and Olds O-99 are only a little bit lighter weight than a 5J if they are the three valve version.

They are fine tubas, but only a slight amount smaller than full size, fairly thick brass, and loaded down with braces.
bloke

Postby bloke » Tue May 29, 2018 9:41 pm

Truly full size lightweight tubas are the compact Cerveny "Piggy" BBb tubas which were made of thin brass, and not loaded down with braces.

John Packer makes a really nice copy of one of those, but not of thin brass, so it's not super lightweight.
Last edited by bloke on Wed May 30, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke

Postby Donn » Wed May 30, 2018 1:03 am

The weight of tubas thread from a couple years ago has weights ranging from 17 to 21 lbs for Conn 2J and 4J, nothing for 5J. (21 lbs is an outlier, the rest are 17 or 18 lbs.) Piggy 18 lbs, but that's CC; I didn't see any user report on similar BBb, but published weight for CBB 783-4RX is 19 lbs. Cerveny calls the CBB 793-4RX both "Kaisertuba" and "Piggy", and it's really quite big - 22.44 lbs.
Of course, for best results, a James R New C-1 mouthpiece is recommended!
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby GC » Wed May 30, 2018 2:29 am

The Cerveny CBB 793-4RX is a BIG horn with a compact, short wrap. It's made from red brass; the 693 is the yellow brass version. It has a huge bottom bow and throat even with its compact wrap, and a very large, dark sound. It's also surprisingly light for its size (thin brass).

I played a used one for a few minutes a few years back, and if I'd the loose cash it would've gone home with me. It played remarkably well in tune and was easy to play in all registers. I've long thought of it as the wonderful big horn that got away.
1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb; Denis Wick 3CC, 2CC; Bach 42B trombone; Ibanez SR-506 6-string bass, MarkBass 102P combo bass amp
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Next

Return to TubeNet