New Conn 1 mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: New Conn 1 mouthpiece

Post by Donn »

Donn wrote:He's more of a trumpet mouthpiece maker, and I don't know if you're going to see the Conn 1 or other tuba mouthpieces on his web site, but he was willing to make this small batch of mouthpieces for me and I assume he'd be willing to make more.
I put up an ad yesterday for those extra mouthpieces, and they were gone within hours. He confirms that he's into making tuba mouthpieces where there's a demand, so if anyone else is interested in having shiny new James R. New C-1, write to him and demand. I expect price will be in line with what you'd expect from a small shop, e.g. Marcinkiewicz.

He mentioned by the way that he has a Geib on the shelf, euro shank, left over from a previous production run.

http://www.james-r-new.com
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

New's diagram from the previous page will help visualize:

I think for as much as you're going to be able to make out from that picture, we can say the Conn2 is represented by "Helleberg" (the blue line.) The rim inside diameter is a little smaller, and the cup is shallower.

The diagram doesn't show rim shape very well. Conn 1 is pretty round, Conn 2 is moderately flat. (I believe called "cushion" shape for whatever reason. I'm looking at an "Improved Precision" model here.)

For dimensions I'm going with cjk's post from 2008 -
Conn2 1.244 inches rim interior and .328 throat
Conn1 1.287 inches rim interior and .355 throat

They're the same length. The Conn1 rim exterior is larger, though by less than 1/10 of an inch.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Oh sweet! I know that James New has been making a lot of different Trombone and Tuba mouthpieces for Ferguson music. Glad to see he also works with smaller orders.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

He did, anyway, on that occasion. I think someone else mentioned another small project around about the same time, that he turned down. Are players are lining up to get these Geibs and C-1s etc., in quantities that make it an attractive business proposition? I wouldn't assume so.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Well, Ferguson is having a "Geib Style" piece in their L-Series mouthpieces, so there must at least be some interest. I've already picked up a few of the Minick-style trombone pieces from them, and probably will pick up a few more. I don't know how long Ferguson will have them available.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I think I bought the first James R. New Geib a few years ago. It was great. I sold it because it was the wrong shank size for the next tuba I owned. The person who bought it loved it, too.

I always meant to buy another, but want to settle on a tuba, or at least a shank size, first.
scafo
lurker
lurker

Post by scafo »

Hi Donn,
thanks for the "groundwork"! After reading your post, I ordered a C1 from James R New 2 years ago. I haven't touched another mouthpiece since, it fits perfectly. A much fuller sound than the current Helleberg mouthpieces and the Conn2. Nice and easy to play after a little getting used to. The price was very reasonable for a custom made and it was ready in a very short time. Top!
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I am glad to see Jim New still making tuba mouthpieces. When he was at Kanstul, I asked him for a version of their 18 with a 1.28 cup instead of the stock 1.26 cup with the rest of their version of an 18. He sent me a trace as above so I could compare, print it out and cut it out on a piece of cardboard to see if it might fit me. Yes, perfect. It is still my primary souzy mouthpiece as I talk about in my "Full Circle" thread. I am also extremely pleased and delighted with the quality of Jim New's work, so it is no surprise to me that he has been able to build quite a mouthpiece business.

OTOH, my Conn Helleberg 120 S seems to be a product of the same variances that we talk about with Bach mouthpieces. I believe stock is supposed to be a 1.26 cup with rather flat rim, and mine is 1.28 with a slightly rounded rim, almost identical to my 18 derivative, very comfortable to me, and easy to change between mouthpieces depending on whether I play my tuba or my souzy.

In any event, as both fit me very well indeed, I don't see changing them either for the forseeable future.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.