the cause of embouchure octave buzzing

The bulk of the musical talk
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Re: the cause of embouchure octave buzzing

Post by Matt Walters »

What is, "embouchure octave buzzing". Definition please.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

bloke wrote:

yes...This is a troll, because I'm attempting to goad people into posting.
First time I heard a troller admit to the troll before anyone posted LOL.
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Cause

Solution
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

Question:
I never found holding the tuba on my lap as normal. It felt heavy and slippy. Is it alright if I put it on my chair? As I grow taller would I have to change to a "lap" position?
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Awwww....
You know I am off the wall enough with my theories of how the universe works, (or brass instruments, for that matter - pun intended) that I would probably agree with you.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

Is this the "double buzz?"

I vote for loss of control of lower lip as cause, and firming that up a bit as cure. There may be other causes too.
PlayTheTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by PlayTheTuba »

What about tightly-torqued or long-time-screwed-together components?
brassbow
bugler
bugler

Post by brassbow »

I agree with the double buzz. A double buzz is where the upper and . Lower lip vibrate on different frequencies. Here is my solution ( passes salt around)

First when the double buzz happens allow it to continue to get the feel of the wrong way. Next slowly THINK about a slight change. Changes are sometimes less then a millimeter differences. By thinking you are allowing the micro adustments to happen as apposed to doing as more muscles get involved on a subconscious level. Once you get the feel when the double buzz disappears, play to remember the right feeling. To cement the idea allow your lips to double buzz then adjust so no double buzz. As a longtone doublebuz then corrected,double, then correct. Do this untill you can double buzz at will. It's called control
Conn 2j Eb tuba,
Eb SARV bugle by R. Stewart,
Continental Eb/F alto,
Olds ambassador baritone,
Zeus Bb cornet,
Hawks and son 1911 eb cornet,
Holton colligiate trumpet,
King G/F 1930's field trumpet
Yes i play them all!!!!!!!!
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

brassbow wrote:I agree with the double buzz. A double buzz is where the upper and . Lower lip vibrate on different frequencies. Here is my solution ( passes salt around)
Probably it's side to side. At least, according to some people who've thought about it more than I.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

bloke wrote:OK... :|

I don't read very much on trombone forums about this problem. :arrow: :idea:
Well, that one I can answer authoritatively, because I live mostly on trombone forums.

Yes. We talk it extensively. Once the habit forms it can be tough to break. I think after considerable discussion over a length of time we've arrived at consensus.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

I don't disagree with bloke at all about the problem of playing a pitch on the wrong length of tubing. I believe it to be a major problem on tuba and trombone. When you chip a note that's the most common cause. (It can come from either direction - think the wrong pitch for your tubing length, even slightly, and you get a chipped note or bad tone; think the right pitch for the note, and have the tubing length wrong and the same thing happens.)

Where I disagree is the idea that trombonists don't have that problem. They have infinitely adjustable tubing length, why would they ever do it wrong? But as bloke notes, it isn't that easy to get every position dialed in in every octave, and hit them at speed.

You have to make the tubing the right length. You have to think and set for the right pitch. Depending somewhat on the range, you also have to have the mouthpiece angle just right, and the tongue level right. I was experimenting this morning on trombone, playing a G above middle C. With the slide right, angle right, pitch firmly in my brain, I succeeded in consistently chipping the start of the note simply by using a wrong vowel sound.