general note about pricing used tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
big_blue_tubist
bugler
bugler

Re: general note about pricing used tubas

Post by big_blue_tubist »

Working admin in a repair shop, this is a pet peeve of mine, as well. No, I don't know what you should try to sell your flute for. I don't know if it's "value" is more than the cost of the repad (probably not). Where are you going to buy another flute for the cost of the repad? eBay? Amazon?
Franken-King 1241
Giddings Taku
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

Well - a good sale is a sale making both parts happy. Starting with the right pricing as salesman in a range where the instrument will go fast - within days or at most few weeks - has also always been my goal. On the other hand, as buyer I am not afraid of asking for a reduction if I believe the offer is over-priced. Where this soft spot for a good price range is or will be, is the hard thing to guess... but some flexibility during negociations will usually find it fast.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Yeah, well, after a few years, it seems like the market has spoken: too much. But the "days or at most few weeks" standard might be wrong for some instruments, too. I vaguely recall last time I looked seeing a nice 4 valve vintage Eb here, really a more than usable tuba from a reputable tubenet member, and it had been hanging around for some time waiting for someone who was willing to pay the price, which was considerable. It will hang around a while longer, no doubt, but eventually that person will come along, who really won't mind paying the price for the perfect tuba for that person, and the seller will know it went to someone with a real use for it.