Alto/tenor horn

The bulk of the musical talk
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Alto/tenor horn

Post by Jerryleejr »

Curious how many players in here? Contemplating adding a tenor horn to my collection and oddly there doesn’t seem to be a lot of info out there... I’ve found the basics such as Eb/Bb tuning and terminology difference of alto/tenor. What I’m really looking for is opinions on the different models.

JJ
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
KingBassTrombone
bugler
bugler

Re: Alto/tenor horn

Post by KingBassTrombone »

In the USA, there have been many iterations of the Alto horn through the 20th century. Early on, we had concert mellophones... like french horns, but with piston valves and the bore of a Flugelhorn. They typically had a variety of crooks which could pitch it most commonly in F, Eb, and D, though some models also came with crooks for C. For marching bands, we had Altoniums- essentially miniature American-style baritones pitched in either Eb or F. There was also a quirky bell-front concert alto called the Solo Horn, which was very rare and usually in Eb.

At some point in the 50s, the Mellophonium became a thing- basically a concert mellophone with a straight bell in Eb or F. They play pretty terribly ad their pitch center is 3 miles wide. They were decent competition for Altoniums though- the Mellophonium projected a little better and could blend with the Alto Saxophone. By the time the 80s rolled around, the Altonium went extinct and was replaced by the modern marching Mellophone, an instrument engineered more like an upright alto horn. These modern mellos project better than their ancestors and play much better as well. Getzen thought they could do one better and concocted the Frumpet, which is just awful.

Any of these instruments can be found fairly cheap on Ebay. I personally own a 1948 H.N.White King Altonium in F.
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jerryleejr »

Probably looking to stick with Bb. I’ve seen the Packers pop up occasionally. I’d prefer rotors but the price jumps significantly.

JJ
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Jerryleejr wrote:I’d prefer rotors but the price jumps significantly.
Or drops, depending on which way you roll.

We have a couple alto horns here, for the lady of the house. If I were to pick up one of them ... she plays a Yamaha 201 or whatever it is, fine instrument, but this no-name nickel plated thing from Kiev would be my choice for a full, easy blow and fair low end for an alto horn. I don't remember how much it cost me, $100?