The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Miraphone vs Altieri gig bag

Post by TheTuba »

I have a brand new Miraphone 186
Which gig bag should I get?
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
ronr
bugler
bugler

Re: Miraphone vs Altieri gig bag

Post by ronr »

Of the two I prefer Altieri. The Miraphone is a nice bag, but I find the attached top makes it unwieldy. I also,really like the shoulder straps on the Altieri.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Run, don't walk, to the Miraphone bag.
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Post by WagnerRing »

The Miraphone bag is a great product, rugged, protective, and well-designed. I recommend the Miraphone bag.
Last edited by WagnerRing on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

No, your school has a brand new 186 that you happen to be playing. (At least that is what you have told us previously).

Do not buy or use a bag for that tuba. Use the supplied hard case from the school (there IS a hard case, right?)- your responsibility is to keep that tuba as close to brand new as possible, sticking it in a gig bag when it doesn't belong to you is a bad idea.

Remember what I said back in the "convincing my parents to buy a tuba" thread where I said you should channel your excitement about the tuba into playing it rather than into buying stuff? Well, buying gig bags for school owned tubas would certainly fall into the "buying stuff" category. Don't do it. Just have patience and save your money - it will be worth it in the end.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

Tom wrote:No, your school has a brand new 186 that you happen to be playing. (At least that is what you have told us previously).

Do not buy or use a bag for that tuba. Use the supplied hard case from the school (there IS a hard case, right?)- your responsibility is to keep that tuba as close to brand new as possible, sticking it in a gig bag when it doesn't belong to you is a bad idea.

Remember what I said back in the "convincing my parents to buy a tuba" thread where I said you should channel your excitement about the tuba into playing it rather than into buying stuff? Well, buying gig bags for school owned tubas would certainly fall into the "buying stuff" category. Don't do it. Just have patience and save your money - it will be worth it in the end.
I would do that.
But, my mom is buying it, as she does not like the idea of me folding backseats and putting scratches on the back of her car for the next 3 years with the hardcase
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

I've been using Altieri bags for many years. I've owned about 6-7 of them for various tubas. I like that it top loads and you can just drop the tuba in. No need to lay the case on a dirty floor someplace before you put it on your back. The straps are at the perfect height for me. The bag doesn't slap you in the butt as you walk. The straps are also the most comfortable that I've used. Plenty of storage space and light weight. I've never used any of the extra straps, valve cover, or bell cover that they come with - just the bare bag.

When I bought my 1292, it came with a Miraphone bag. It is a well made bag, but several pounds heavier than the Altieri. I ended up selling the Miraphone bag and buying another Altieri bag.

The Miraphone might offer better protection because the padding is thicker and it has a plate in the top cover to protect the bell, but it is heavier.

To me, if you're worried about how much protection any bag offers, you shouldn't be using a bag. Use a hard case.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

I'd take the Miraphone bag over the Altieri bag without hesitation. Very nice product.
paulver

Post by paulver »

I have the Miraphone gig bag for my 186. I love it. Some of the tuba guys I know have a multitude of different cases. They all seem awkward and unwieldy......... except for the guy who uses a hard case with wheels on it. With mine..... to get it out of the trunk, I stand it up in the trunk of the car, turn slightly to insert my left arm into the strap, then turn slightly in the opposite direction to insert my right arm, and I'm on my way to wherever I need to carry it. No lifting, squatting, etc.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

paulver wrote:I have the Miraphone gig bag for my 186. I love it. Some of the tuba guys I know have a multitude of different cases. They all seem awkward and unwieldy......... except for the guy who uses a hard case with wheels on it. With mine..... to get it out of the trunk, I stand it up in the trunk of the car, turn slightly to insert my left arm into the strap, then turn slightly in the opposite direction to insert my right arm, and I'm on my way to wherever I need to carry it. No lifting, squatting, etc.
As long as your careful, will it dent? also, have you seen any bell creases?
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

Doesn’t matter how careful you are - you will eventually bump a doorway, or pack it too tightly into a car with other stuff, or even just set it down a little too roughly in a hurry.

That being said, a gig bag is still far better than a naked horn, and the Miraphone bags are better than most bags IMO (particularly when holding the exact horn they’re designed for). Miraphone bags are my #2 favorite after Cronkhite.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

I don't know if you have the opportunity to try them out, but I'd say go with the one that's the most comfortable for you. The Altieri will sit higher, but unless you're freakishly tall, you have lower-than-normal doors or a hatchback, that shouldn't be too much of an issue. If you're really short, the Miraphone may hit the back of you legs.

Obviously, straps can be adjusted, replaced or an extra hip belt can be added, but I'd get the best product from the get-go.

Yes, I'm know I'm nitpicking, it's because both are quality products at pretty much the same cost, so there's no distinct advantage to one over the other.
Last edited by PMeuph on Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
lowtones425
bugler
bugler

Post by lowtones425 »

I hate to echo the same message, but if it's a school owned instrument, you shouldn't use a bag for the horn. Way too much risk of damage, even if you're careful as can be.

Do they have another instrument that you could use at home for practicing? Or perhaps you can get your practice time in after school in the band room?
Eastman 6/4 CC - Laskey 30HE
Rudy Meinl 4/4 F - Breslmair F3
Conn 2J 3/4 CC - Eastman Paperweight
Olds BBb Sousaphone - Tin Can
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

lowtones425 wrote:I hate to echo the same message, but if it's a school owned instrument, you shouldn't use a bag for the horn. Way too much risk of damage, even if you're careful as can be.

Do they have another instrument that you could use at home for practicing? Or perhaps you can get your practice time in after school in the band room?
I'll try.
I really don't want to dent it, so ill try to get the hardcase to work. :/
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

I'm not the original poster, but I'd still like to thank TubeNet for the wealth of opinions and actual information on this topic. I just got an upright (Yamaha) bell for my vintage 186, and the Miraphone bag is a perfect fit. I got the one that's sold by several U.S. outlets as "Medium BBb or CC, like 186, 187, 188, ...." Fortunately, the bag also fits me pretty well, too, and it's easy to get in and out of the car.

My horn is pre-dented, so a soft case meets my modest needs. A hard one would defeat one purpose of getting a smallish tuba.
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

ckalaher1 wrote:I'd take the Miraphone bag over the Altieri bag without hesitation. Very nice product.
+1. I own an Altieri bag and don't care for it. Had it for about 8 years. Purchased another bag early on because I didn't care for it. Others seem to love theirs so check out both. I've heard nothing but praise for the Miraphone bags but if you need a side loader it may not be your preferred choice.
John 3:16

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Yamaha YSL-630 .525 Trombone
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

Altieri suspended production of tuba products as they’re currently undergoing a major operational overhaul. *Source: Altieri. https://altieribags.com/collections/tuba-bags" target="_blank

TL;DR: either wait for the new Altieri product lineup, or get the Miraphone now.

I own an Altieri bag only because it came feee with my horn. Otherwise, I would have passed on it. It’s makes any horn feel top heavy because of the low strap placement. It’s also prone to tears (it’s a “parachute” type of material, while the Mira. feels much tougher).

I miss my Miraphone bag and I wish they made one that would fit my Eastman.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Tubad64
lurker
lurker

Post by Tubad64 »

TheTuba wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:37 pm
Tom wrote:No, your school has a brand new 186 that you happen to be playing. (At least that is what you have told us previously).

I would do that.
But, my mom is buying it, as she does not like the idea of me folding backseats and putting scratches on the back of her car for the next 3 years with the hardcase
I know you posted this 4 years ago, but in my search for a bag of my own, I came across this post. It made me laugh because I did go through the 3 years with a hard case, and the bumper of my car definitely reflects it! Your mom had the right idea!
Alex Brown
Wessex Wyvern
:tuba: