Wessex new Piston F tuba, News?

The bulk of the musical talk
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Wessex new Piston F tuba, News?

Post by DouglasJB »

Is there any information about the new F tuba Wessex is working on?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex new Piston F tuba, News?

Post by Wyvern »

There are actually two different models, one based on the classic British compensated F tuba, which will also be available in front valve configuration- and another being developed in consultation with a leading US professional.

The compensated F, we hope to have out in time to show at Midwest in December. The second hopefully in time for ITEC 2019.
Musical_Eagle
bugler
bugler

Post by Musical_Eagle »

Wyvern wrote:There are actually two different models, one based on the classic British compensated F tuba, which will also be available in front valve configuration- and another being developed in consultation with a leading US professional.

The compensated F, we hope to have out in time to show at Midwest in December. The second hopefully in time for ITEC 2019.
Regarding the front valve configuration one, what size is it going to be? Like similar to the Berg in size, similar to the BMB F Tuba or somewhere in the middle?

Thanks!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

The British compensator is I would say 3/4 size but with amazing full tone as it has the same size bell throat as the compensated Eb’s. Remember these were used for symphony orchestra playing in the UK up until 1960’s.
Musical_Eagle
bugler
bugler

Post by Musical_Eagle »

Wyvern wrote:The British compensator is I would say 3/4 size but with amazing full tone as it has the same size bell throat as the compensated Eb’s. Remember these were used for symphony orchestra playing in the UK up until 1960’s.
I'm asking regarding the front action, not the compensator one. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Musical_Eagle
bugler
bugler

Post by Musical_Eagle »

Mark Finley wrote:
Musical_Eagle wrote:
Wyvern wrote:The British compensator is I would say 3/4 size but with amazing full tone as it has the same size bell throat as the compensated Eb’s. Remember these were used for symphony orchestra playing in the UK up until 1960’s.
I'm asking regarding the front action, not the compensator one. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

unless I'm totally reading his post wrong, it sounds like they are both compensating
Good point. I was hoping for a more conventional 4+1 set up.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

It you want to know about the non-compensated F, I can’t tell you yet, as it is still in development. We have already gone through 6 prototypes, so I can say the final design
Musical_Eagle
bugler
bugler

Post by Musical_Eagle »

Wyvern wrote:It you want to know about the non-compensated F, I can’t tell you yet, as it is still in development. We have already gone through 6 prototypes, so I can say the final design
Alright, thanks for the info, I can't wait for more news.