Wessex new Piston F tuba, News? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Wessex new Piston F tuba, News?

Postby DouglasJB » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:21 pm

Is there any information about the new F tuba Wessex is working on?
5V 6/4 Cerveny 691
5V 4/4 Wessex Berg
DouglasJB
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Wessex new Piston F tuba, News?

Postby Wyvern » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:31 am

There are actually two different models, one based on the classic British compensated F tuba, which will also be available in front valve configuration- and another being developed in consultation with a leading US professional.

The compensated F, we hope to have out in time to show at Midwest in December. The second hopefully in time for ITEC 2019.
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby Musical_Eagle » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Wyvern wrote:There are actually two different models, one based on the classic British compensated F tuba, which will also be available in front valve configuration- and another being developed in consultation with a leading US professional.

The compensated F, we hope to have out in time to show at Midwest in December. The second hopefully in time for ITEC 2019.

Regarding the front valve configuration one, what size is it going to be? Like similar to the Berg in size, similar to the BMB F Tuba or somewhere in the middle?

Thanks!
Musical_Eagle
bugler
bugler

Postby Wyvern » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:27 am

The British compensator is I would say 3/4 size but with amazing full tone as it has the same size bell throat as the compensated Eb’s. Remember these were used for symphony orchestra playing in the UK up until 1960’s.

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby Musical_Eagle » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Wyvern wrote:The British compensator is I would say 3/4 size but with amazing full tone as it has the same size bell throat as the compensated Eb’s. Remember these were used for symphony orchestra playing in the UK up until 1960’s.

I'm asking regarding the front action, not the compensator one. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Musical_Eagle
bugler
bugler

Postby Mark Finley » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:56 pm

Musical_Eagle wrote:
Wyvern wrote:The British compensator is I would say 3/4 size but with amazing full tone as it has the same size bell throat as the compensated Eb’s. Remember these were used for symphony orchestra playing in the UK up until 1960’s.

I'm asking regarding the front action, not the compensator one. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

unless I'm totally reading his post wrong, it sounds like they are both compensating
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Musical_Eagle » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Mark Finley wrote:
Musical_Eagle wrote:

unless I'm totally reading his post wrong, it sounds like they are both compensating

Good point. I was hoping for a more conventional 4+1 set up.
Musical_Eagle
bugler
bugler

Postby Wyvern » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:46 pm

It you want to know about the non-compensated F, I can’t tell you yet, as it is still in development. We have already gone through 6 prototypes, so I can say the final design

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Postby Musical_Eagle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:00 am

Wyvern wrote:It you want to know about the non-compensated F, I can’t tell you yet, as it is still in development. We have already gone through 6 prototypes, so I can say the final design

Alright, thanks for the info, I can't wait for more news.
Musical_Eagle
bugler
bugler

Return to TubeNet