Meinl Weston 33... thoughts?

The bulk of the musical talk
ashhealey
bugler
bugler

Meinl Weston 33... thoughts?

Post by ashhealey »

I found an old Meinl Weston 33 tuba for sale in fairly good shape for $3400. I have never heard anything about them before and was wondering what people thought about them. I am looking to buy a horn but I was holding out for a Miraphone 186 or 188 to pop up near me. Would this be a nice alternative?
Last edited by ashhealey on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northernlb
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Meinl Westin 33... thoughts?

Post by Northernlb »

Yes, go and play test, these are great tubas.
:tuba:
greatk82
3 valves
3 valves

Post by greatk82 »

If you are referring to the one for sale by tubadoctor, it used to be mine. It was a good playing horn, an I know he has done a lot of work i it to make it a great horn.
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Post by bigboymusic »

I've never played the removeable bell version, but the 32's I've played have been great horns. Imagine a 186 but a little more punch. In general these older 'Getzen' Meinl Westons were built like tanks. I like that feel in a horn!
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
Fergie
bugler
bugler

Post by Fergie »

I have the MW30. The horn has a beautiful, dark German sound. I very much love my horn. Go play test it!
Dvorak probably wrote the the fourteen notes in New World Symphony to get his tuba friends a gig.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bigboymusic wrote:I've never played the removeable bell version, but the 32's I've played have been great horns. Imagine a 186 but a little more punch. In general these older 'Getzen' Meinl Westons were built like tanks. I like that feel in a horn!
I agree with all of this!

Besides "more punch," I would add that the sound is darker than a 186, and less "bark" to the sound. I think you're getting a lot of tuba for the money.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Meinl Weston 33... thoughts?

Post by toobagrowl »

Ya mean Meinl-Weston :!:

The 33, 32 and 30 models have the same bugle.
Played the M-W 32 years ago and really enjoyed it. It was a sweet tuba that played very well. Very good build, pitch, response, nice sound. Like others have said; think of a Miraphone 186 with a more rounded, slightly darker sound color and you have the M-W 33/32/30. Great all-around/chamber tuba. Kind of an underrated tuba. I think I liked the model 32 more than the 37 B.Bell model. :tuba:
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

I agree with most of the sentiment here, the whole 30s series are great all around CC tubas, incredibly reliable and fun to play :tuba: ill never know why these never got even close to as popular as the 186
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

^ Probably a topic for another thread, but I think Miraphone had some pretty aggressive marketing in the 70s and 80s.