Circular breathing Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Circular breathing

Postby TheTuba » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:03 pm

How to do it on tuba?
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Circular breathing

Postby Ken Crawford » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:24 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52545&hilit=circular+breathing" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank"

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5105&hilit=circular+breathing" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24901&p=213237&hilit=circular+breathing#p213237" target="_blank

Your question should have been: How do I use the search function on TubeNet?
Last edited by Ken Crawford on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Three Valves » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:30 pm

BATs are really cool because bloke says so.

bloke says so because they are really cool!!

:tuba:

Oh, circular BREATHING!! :oops:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:04 pm

fwiw,

1/ I've not heard it done by anyone (with a tuba) who doesn't make a bunch of noise doing it, whereby stopping, breathing, and restarting would (to me) be much less of a distraction.

2/ I can actually do it playing the oboe (which uses much less air), and do it without making funny related noises, and while keeping the tone steady. (I'm not an oboist, but two people in my immediate family are...thus the access to oboes.)

3/ I have a friend named Brian Cayolle (you may have seen him play sax or clarinet on TV, but didn't know who he was) who is very good at circular breathing...thus his nickname (which everyone calls him) "Breeze".
https://www.google.com/search?q=Brian+Cayolle
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Doc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:42 pm

I have great difficulty with circular breathing. No matter how much I practice, I just can’t seem to move my head in a circle, breathe, and keep playing at the same time. I just don’t get it.
Last edited by Doc on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Ken Herrick » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:54 pm

Chester had it mastered and was an advocate of it.
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Jobey Wilson » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:56 pm

I use it quite often (joe, it’s only Audible when my nose is stuffy). The trick is numerous, short sniffs to keep “topping off” your tank. Most people wait too long, Trying to refill their entire capacity... when you wait too long, you’re trying to take in so much air through such small orifices That it is noisy, and typically the pitch bends. When I studied with Chester Schmitz, he got really excited the first time he saw me do it ( of course, I waited too long, it was loud and the pitch bent), so we worked on it quite often. You can improve your sniffing technique by playing something like Scales or an etude in eighth notes somewhere around 96 bpm sniffing between every eighth note. Kopprasch 3 is a good one for this. Jobey
Jobey Wilson
University of Southern Maine
http://usm.maine.edu/music/jobey-wilson
Jobey Wilson
pro musician
pro musician

Postby TheTuba » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Ken Crawford wrote:http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52545&hilit=circular+breathing" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank"

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5105&hilit=circular+breathing" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24901&p=213237&hilit=circular+breathing#p213237" target="_blank" target="_blank

Your question should have been: How do I use the search function on TubeNet?

thank you
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby TheTuba » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:20 pm

ok way I understand it is.......

When moving air OUT, use CHEEKS to PUSH, not lungs.
(both above and below happen at the same time.)
When moving air IN, inhale AS USUAL.
When said air fills you up, next time you need a breath, you CUT OFF lung air, and FILL your cheeks.
Repeat.

I think most people problem is that they do not find a happy medium in how long their breath is and how much their cheeks can regulate the airflow consistently and long enough for air to fill you up.
please correct me if i'm wrong.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby ren » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:33 pm

The way I learned was by practicing with a straw and a cup of water. If you havent tried that....
ren

Postby Ken Herrick » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:38 pm

Hey, Jobey, didn't he give you a lesson on it while out on his yacht (circa 1970)?
Ken Herrick
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:36 pm

yeah...Sniffing is loud.
Scott Hartman would do it at Empire Brass concerts.
It was loud...and (at least: to me) quite distracting...and didn't seem necessary.

With the oboe, the air isn't lost very fast, so air does not have to be frantically jammed past the nostrils in order to accomplish it...
...but I still don't find it to be necessary.

Avoiding name-dropping here, one of the "top players" (yeah...when I spend dough on guidance, I tend to buy it from the best...Why not?) once suggested that (since I demonstrated to them that I could do it) to work on it and do it with the tuba. The reason offered was "to impress an audition committee". ...huh...?? I don't think so. (Which - seriously - is more likely from the other side of the screen? [A] "WOW, Check THAT out !?!?!" ~or~ [B] "What's that weird noise...???")

bloke "and no... No audition ever asked for more than four bars of the D in the little Mahler solo, and - if they did - I'd breath (playing the music in my head) just before one of the other instruments' entrances, and re-attack the D. I'd wager that this would not cause someone to be eliminated."
bloke

Postby Ken Herrick » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:35 pm

Someone with a 6 liter+ lung capacity is not likely to need to breathe as often as someone with only 4.5L. I suspect Bloke would fall into the first category.

"Sniffing" is not necessarily loud or even audible to the person next to a player (it varies of course, for various reasons.
Harvey was a strong advocate of sniffing when appropriate.

It really is a YMMV situation for either circular breathing or sniffing.

My suggestion is to try both and see what works for you and don't worry about the TNFJ or self appointed judges there-on.
Ken Herrick
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Stryk » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:52 am

Spend your practice time doing something worthwhile.
Terry Stryker

Old, ugly horns that play really, really well.
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby Paul Scott » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:00 pm

I use circular breathing frequently. I have 5 liters tops (a bit less available post heart surgery) and it's a very useful technique. The sniffs aren't necessarily loud and if you're doing it in the back of a concert band it's certainly not noticeable.
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Return to TubeNet