Question

The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Question

Post by TheTuba »

so some manufacturers have a "regular" series and a "heavyweight" series.
(Megatone, + series)

I'm asking anyone who has a RT/PT/Bach mouthpiece of both weights, and the same model to give a small review of the differences between each weight type. I might buy a RT-48+ in the future, so i'm just asking how the sound/response changes.
(example: Bach 18 and Megatone Bach 18 review)
I would especially love it if it were a review on one of the RT series.(since that's the one I have)
Thanks in advance!
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Question

Post by Sousaswag »

https://youtu.be/4H1LeOS8bdc" target="_blank

Pretty sure this is what you're looking for
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

Sousaswag wrote:https://youtu.be/4H1LeOS8bdc" target="_blank

Pretty sure this is what you're looking for
thank you!
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

I tried out a variety of RTXX and RTXX+ mouthpieces at SERTEC. The conclusion I came to is that they are certainly both mouthpieces. Each had a rim, cup, and shank and when you buzzed into them the tuba made sounds. Strangely enough when I switched between mouthpieces the sound that came through is the sound that always goes through, my sound. I then wandered over to the Warburton stand and bought a 30DL because it sounded like a tuba but made low notes come out easier. $125 is a steal for comfy low notes.

P.S. sorry SERTEC attendees, I was the guy trying every tuba and dropping 120db depth charges. I was trying to compare other horn's loud low ranges to my yorkbrunner because at least with my current mpc at the time it just felt very stuffy.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Here's the thing about "standard" vs. "heavy" mouthpieces, even when the same model from the same maker...

They are almost always different in more ways than just the added mass. Often it is throat or backbore sizes that change between the two, with the heavy versions usually sporting larger throats or backbores. Sometimes the rims are different, too.

In other words they can almost never really be directly compared with the mass being the only difference. Think of them as two different mouthpieces.

Unsolicited advice: your current mouthpiece is fine, keep playing it and skip the heavyweight. I've been there and done that. I bought/sold/tried A LOT of mouthpieces years ago including standard vs. heavy of the "same" mouthpiece. Those that have been on Tubenet for 20+ years will remember that time in my life. :oops: I was in college at the time, but I should have quit messing around with buying stuff and kept practicing on what I had.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

Tom wrote:Here's the thing about "standard" vs. "heavy" mouthpieces, even when the same model from the same maker...

They are almost always different in more ways than just the added mass. Often it is throat or backbore sizes that change between the two, with the heavy versions usually sporting larger throats or backbores. Sometimes the rims are different, too.

In other words they can almost never really be directly compared with the mass being the only difference. Think of them as two different mouthpieces.

Unsolicited advice: your current mouthpiece is fine, keep playing it and skip the heavyweight. I've been there and done that. I bought/sold/tried A LOT of mouthpieces years ago including standard vs. heavy of the "same" mouthpiece. Those that have been on Tubenet for 20+ years will remember that time in my life. :oops: I was in college at the time, but I should have quit messing around with buying stuff and kept practicing on what I had.
I was planning on using the heavyweight for low and loud band pieces. But I don't really have the need to. Thank you!